Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Cleaning (inside) Tamron 17-50 2.8

Hello all!

I'm having issues with my Tamron 17-50 2.8 XR DiII SP
I have a good amount of dust on the inside of my front element and also on my group of lens that moves inside

Did someone here ever dismantled a 17-50 from Tamron? I'm on a budget and for now cannot afford sending the lens to Tamron and their 100$ cleaning charge.

I have searched the web without really having success... HELP!

02-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the dust affecting your images at all? It usually doesn't, and so I wouldn't worry about it as opening up your lens could end up damaging it even more!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
For normally lit subjects , there are no affect... but let's say in studio, if I have a strobe that is behind my subject,I will see the dust looking like ''orbs''... I'll try to post a photo later on.. When I'll be back from work..
02-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #4

Use this video as a reference. In this video he tightens 3 screws. those you just have to unscrew and lift the front element, and put on on back later .
be sure to use a dust free place and a bright light source.

02-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
I saw a similar video before concerning this wobble and I always wondered if unscrewing these 3 screws would make the front objective free, iut seem it does and that way the lens remains in it's frame I beleive so I won't have to worry too much about lens alignment.... correct me if I'm wrong..
02-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depends on how that section was made. Some front secton has only 1 way to assemble w/o any leeway at all and the alignment should be fine. Lens like FA31 would be screwed if the front lens group was removed.
02-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I've disassembled the front end of a 17-50. Be aware that the components are plastic that must be carefully teased apart to prevent breakage. Also. element groups are held in plastic frames that appear press fit and not easily freed. Also, infinity focus is calibrated by the rotation of the front element set, so pin position should be marked before disassembly. A little dust is probably not a good reason to take the lens apart.

02-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for your comment civiletti!

Well I have lot's of dust inside at least 30 to 40 dust particles on the lens inside... I'm hesitating now....
02-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The outer retaining ring is the flimsiest. It might help to warm the lens to about 27-30 degrees C to make the plastic less brittle. Once it's off mark the location of the front group in its rotating mount [there are pins that move in slots]. Try to use air to remove dust rather than rubbing the elements if possible. If the dust is close to the rear of the lens, it might be better to get in that way, but I can offer no advice on that approach.