travel lens only 1717.00%
prefer multiple lens always 4444.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
the Sigma DP-1 was suppose to be released last summer and it's still not on the market, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Yea, but there was also no new pentax coming either...
In either case, I am not holding my breath.

01-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #17
Forum Member

I'm replacing my 16-45 and Tamron 70-300 with the Pentax 18-250 and a Sigma flash unit. Then I still have a 50mm lens which I use for portraits. The 18-250 stays on the camera most of the time though.
01-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
You seem to be focusing solely on the lens when deciding the camera. I can certainly understand why one might chose a DSLR even with a single lens. As others have pointed out, a DSLR offers far more than just interchangable lenses. But, equally important, the user chose the particular lens, not the camera manufacturer as is the case with bridge cameras. And that user has the option to choose some other lens in the future, which is also not the case with bridge cameras. In my opinion, that alone (choice now and in the future) is a pretty good reason to select a DLSR over a bridge camera.

stewart
The ability to use specialized lenses is why I bought a DSLR. If I wanted a one lens solution and convenience, I would have continued to use my Sony DSC-F707. It was smaller, lighter, cheaper, and more flexible in certain situations that my K10D and a zoom. It does give up a little image quality, but not that much really.
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #19

Hello,

First time poster!

Isn't this lens too slow for anyone? I don't own it, but can't imagine not being able to shoot at 2.8 through the whole range. (I do know what 2.8 telephotos cost though!)

I suppose if I was primarily shooting outdoors it wouldn't be an issue. But I find myself indoors mostly - shooting a lot of music / concerts / people.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on it's speed.

I do feel though, that for it's price and versatility - it probably can't be beat.

Thanks,
Angelo

01-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The ability to use specialized lenses is why I bought a DSLR. If I wanted a one lens solution and convenience, I would have continued to use my Sony DSC-F707. It was smaller, lighter, cheaper, and more flexible in certain situations that my K10D and a zoom. It does give up a little image quality, but not that much really.
Why does using an 18-250 preclude using "specialty lenses" as well?

Jer
01-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angelo Quote
Hello,

First time poster!

Isn't this lens too slow for anyone? I don't own it, but can't imagine not being able to shoot at 2.8 through the whole range. (I do know what 2.8 telephotos cost though!)

I suppose if I was primarily shooting outdoors it wouldn't be an issue. But I find myself indoors mostly - shooting a lot of music / concerts / people.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on it's speed.

I do feel though, that for it's price and versatility - it probably can't be beat.

Thanks,
Angelo
Angelo
Welcome to the forum. For me since I shoot mostly out doors, it is not a problem, and focus speed while not an f/2.8 is not to bad. For indoor shooting I do use a different lens. Usually my 28-75 f2/2.8
01-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Why does using an 18-250 preclude using "specialty lenses" as well?

Jer
It doesn't, but that's the way some people are choosing to use it and it's that type of usage that I'm wondering about. I think the 18-250 would be a great lens to have in addition to more specialized wide angles, telephotos, and macros.
01-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

How often do you travel?

As to whether or not it would be worth it to get the Tamron/Pentax 18-250 exclusively for travel would be worth it would depend on how often you travel. If you don't travel that much, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend that kind of money for something you aren't going to use that often. I've got my Tammy version currently on eBay for sale and that's one of the reasons why I've decided to sell it. Another reason is that I'm not finding that I use the tele end of the lens that much, so for me, it would make more sense to sell it and get a 50-200, which is shorter overall, but half the price. If I need a zoom on the wider end, I've got a Sigma 28-70/3.5-4.5 that can do the job.

Beyond that, I'm focusing on quality primes; I already have the 43 Ltd. and definitely want to get the 21 Ltd and perhaps the 70 Ltd. down the road a-ways. If I need anything wider than the 21, I'll look at getting either the 14/2.8 or the 12-24. I'm also definitely planning on picking up a dedicated macro--either the Tammy 90 or Pentax 100. Once I get the 50-200, the 21 and macro will be my next priorities, for sure.

Heather

Just in case any of you are interested in my auction, here's the link to it.
Tamron 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD for Pentax - eBay (item 320203084590 end time Jan-10-08 03:15:19 PST)

Last edited by heatherslightbox; 01-05-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: adding a link to my eBay auction
01-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote

But that's you, isn't it? And I don't believe you were wondering why you would or wouldn't do something. Instead, I think you were wondering why others might choose to use a single lens with a DSLR instead of selecting a bridge camera. As I said before, choice is perhaps one factor - the choice over which lens is used now and the choice to select another lens, or group of lenses, at some point in the future. The Sony you describe doesn't offer that choice, while a DSLR clearly does.

I often take only a single lens (the Tamron AF 18-250mm) while traveling around town or the neighboring area. That's a choice I make based on several factors - this one lens can cover most of the situations I might run into, this lens works great with my K10D, I don't like to tote more than is absolutely necessary, and there's only so much space in the travel trunk of my scooter. I often choose a scooter to ride while hunting opportune photos, instead of my BWM sedan, simply because it's a more convenient method of getting around the out-of-the-way streets and alleys of neighboring towns, and the many small roads and paths throughout the surrounding countryside.

Of course, I own other lenses and other cameras. However, you'd still only see that one lens if you saw me on the street. It's my choice to own more lenses and not use them in this situation. Notice virtually everything in this message is based on the notion of choice. Given that I have so much choice, I see no particular reason to question another person's choice to only own and use a single lens.

stewart
01-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I vote a little from 1 and a little from 2.

I bought the 18-250 for a vacation and then pretty much kept it on my K100D all the time. Then, in December I bought the K10D and went on a binge, buying the DA* twins. Since then, I haven't used the 18-250 since I have the new lenses (plus a new 77Ltd) to play with. However, we're taking another family trip next month and I'll take the 18-250 with me then. It's just too convenient and I don't have to inconvenience my family with them waiting for me to switch lenses.

I went to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl by myself and took the 16-50 and 50-135, though when I left the hotel room I only took one lens, dictating the type of shots I'd take while out and about. The 50-135 did okay in the Sugar Bowl (a little short), much better than the 18-250 would've done.
01-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I vote a little from 1 and a little from 2.

I bought the 18-250 for a vacation and then pretty much kept it on my K100D all the time. Then, in December I bought the K10D and went on a binge, buying the DA* twins. Since then, I haven't used the 18-250 since I have the new lenses (plus a new 77Ltd) to play with. However, we're taking another family trip next month and I'll take the 18-250 with me then. It's just too convenient and I don't have to inconvenience my family with them waiting for me to switch lenses.

I went to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl by myself and took the 16-50 and 50-135, though when I left the hotel room I only took one lens, dictating the type of shots I'd take while out and about. The 50-135 did okay in the Sugar Bowl (a little short), much better than the 18-250 would've done.
Cool, can we see some pics ?
01-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Cool, can we see some pics ?
Here ya go
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/18004-sugar-bo...tml#post149281
01-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Uh, anyone looking to "unload" fast primes because they're using the all-arounder in question can apply here, please...

Right now, I'm mostly shooting concerts in indoor venues, so even though my bag weighs about 10 pounds, I can't use anything slower than f 2.8 -- so I voted "multiple lenses always". I guess if I lived in a sunnier climate and shot outdoors it would be a different story.

I just missed the A 1.2 on eBay yesterday -- someone actually walked away with it for under US$400. Grrrr....