Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

M42 screwmount adaptor, not good? (or did i get ripped of?)

Hi guys!

I´m pretty new to the Pentax brand, about a year now, but been with SRL since ´99, doing some medium formats in between aswell.

Just love the sensor in K-r and K-5, and felling a bit noobish saying it but became aware of all the great old lenses that are out there (and the quality - price range for a student is very very apealing!) and decided to get a few of my own. Read up for a few months, my eyes bleeding from all the text, tests and sample images, and my ears from my girlfriend reminding me of the importance of sleep. Anyhow, eventualy got myself a Super-Takumar 55/1.8 with extentionstubes, all m42, and a Meyer-Optik Orestor "zebra" 135/2.8 m42.
I went to a praised and recomended used dealer in Sweden and got a infinity adaptor for about 35 Euro, and with the 55 came a not-infinity adaptor, realy nice of the guy who sold it to me.

Been shooting a lot of macro now during the winter and not realy tested the infinity one out very much, since it needs that little tool to unmount from the house i´ve been sticking with the not-infinite verson for the simplicity of changing lenses easily.

But now i been giving it a shot, got a friends wedding comning up in a few months and she asked me if i could bring my camra and take some pictures, told her that i would be happy to but also reminding them to get a proper wedding photagrapher aswell, i dont have the equipment or experience to do a very good job, but she said she like the kind of pics i take and still wants me around. So therefor i am working on my skills with the 55 and 135 (for the church) but i just can not get the pictures sharp!

With the non-infinity there is no problem, the pics come out just as i want them and very sharp, but with the proper, expensive adapter i realy dont get the same, just no real focus in the pictures!

So what do you guys think, have i been ripped of, or is there a known problem with some of these? Or any trick i missed out on?

02-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If you got the infinity adapter with the tool, it is not an official Pentax adapter, it is the cheap knock-off. This should have absolutely no effect on the sharpness of the pictures though. When dealing with an identical shot, in focus with the infinity adapter and in focus with the non-infinity adapter should be the same, since the lens would be exactly the same distance from the sensor no matter which adapter is being used.

I use a cheap knock-off infinity adapter, I removed the clip and did a little grinding to stop it from over-rotating in the mount and getting stuck, but I have no problems with it. I also have a cheap non-infinity adapter that I have permanently attached to my macro lens, no problems with it either and noticed no difference when switching between them, except I was able to get very slightly closer with the non-infinity one.
02-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If you got the infinity adapter with the tool, it is not an official Pentax adapter, it is the cheap knock-off. This should have absolutely no effect on the sharpness of the pictures though. When dealing with an identical shot, in focus with the infinity adapter and in focus with the non-infinity adapter should be the same, since the lens would be exactly the same distance from the sensor no matter which adapter is being used.

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so pretty much i overpaid a cheap knowoff that isn´t even cut right to get the focal plane where it is supposed to be?
02-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Unless the lens fits crooked or something like that, I don't see there being any possible way for the adapter to affect the image quality.