Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Rikenon (Ricoh) "P" P 70-210mm f 3.9

I have an opportunity to buy this lens for $45. i have read reviews over here: Rikenon (Ricoh) "P" P 70-210mm f 3.9 Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

but none of them states if it has that ricoh pin that would jam on DSLR body. I use k-r.
i am open to suggestions on how to work around that pin. i was thinking to solve that problem like solving aperture pin on M42 lenses - with a smidge of superglue. others say you can just easily remove that pin..

02-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since it is an auto aperture lens, just be extra cautious when removing the pin. I have removed two Ricoh pins and my record is one win and one loss.
The more important question may be if the lens is worth $45. Removing the pin, if necessary is no trouble provided you have the right screwdriver, which you can find in many places.
02-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
I was wondering about that. since i'm totally new to Pentax world. How does pentax camera control aperture? I know that aperture on m42 cameras are indeed controlled by lens, and camera body just pushes the pin.

I have read a tutorial on how to remove that pin by unscrewing back plate of the lens, and I can say that it is not too big of a deal. In my past i have disassembled and reassembled Tair 300s which had diaphragm leaves all messed up.

what do you mean if it is not worth $45? is that to expensive or what? I'm from Croatia and that being said everything here is outrageously expensive. Hell, I paid for my k-r 18-55 kit $730 (lowest possible price). But i think that this can be a good deal if it is in good condition.
02-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I have had no issues with post-surgery Rikenon-Ps.. other than flare in strong backlighting they have served me well. The P lenses are strictly manual lenses though, the P setting looks like Pentax A but no electrical contact to give aperture data to the camera (or for camera to give exposurre data to the lens).

02-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
what does that mean? how do I control aperture with this lens, since there is no interaction with body except aperture lever on lens and that little thingy inside body?
if i put it to lets say f/11. Will that value be fixed, meaning aperture will open/close with each turn of the ring, or will the aperture be wide open until I click the shutter?
02-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Since you're in M mode you need to meter via the green button (or ħEV button on some cameras) - when you do that the aperture stops down and the meter gives its resulting shutter speed. After you let go the aperture snaps open again, for brighter viewing and composition. So closest to your second choice. Dial in f/11, press green (for an example, say camera picks 1/60) - your camera will now stay at 1/60 for every shot until you press green again. Even if you pick another aperture, it will stay at 1/60.
02-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
I have an opportunity to buy this lens for $45. i have read reviews over here: Rikenon (Ricoh) "P" P 70-210mm f 3.9 Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

but none of them states if it has that ricoh pin that would jam on DSLR body. I use k-r.
i am open to suggestions on how to work around that pin. i was thinking to solve that problem like solving aperture pin on M42 lenses - with a smidge of superglue. others say you can just easily remove that pin..

I have this lens, and the pin is not a problem. It's a spring loaded, round pin. It barely extends from the mount.
02-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
cool.. so camera uses that "i don't know what to call it" thing inside body to move the aperture lever on lens, just like it does with modern ones? i do understand how metering is made with "uncompatible" lenses.

I use 3 m42 lenses with adapter on K-R, but over there I personally adjust the aperture using the aperture ring, but that way I have to focus with fixed value, meaning I am the one operating with aperture. Or, I open them wide, focus and close aperture back on the value I have chosen.

02-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I have this lens, and the pin is not a problem. It's a spring loaded, round pin. It barely extends from the mount.

excelent! i have seen some pics around the net and I thought that too. It looks benign to me.

p.s.

are you satisfied with that lens? is it worth it? reason i'm buying 70-210 K mount is that i disassembled and ruined my m42 sirius MC auto 70-210 f/4 after noticing that inner lens part is dirty rendering it unusable if you try o use anything below f/16.
02-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
excelent! i have seen some pics around the net and I thought that too. It looks benign to me.

p.s.

are you satisfied with that lens? is it worth it? reason i'm buying 70-210 K mount is that i disassembled and ruined my m42 sirius MC auto 70-210 f/4 after noticing that inner lens part is dirty rendering it unusable if you try o use anything below f/16.
To be honest, I've only mounted it a few times on my K100D Super just to see how it worked. I may have taken some test shots, but I've never really shot with it. I got it with a Ricoh XR-30P.

One thing to note is that even though the lens is a P (Ricoh's version of Pentax' A lens), the mounts have the pins in different spots, so you can't set the aperture in the camera, it is basically a fully manual lens.
02-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #11

I have this lens and find it quite nice. I'd say it is worth the $45. And as Aloha Dave says, the pin is no problem. You can leave it there. I've never had any problems with Ricoh brand P series lenses (Vivitar P-K/R is a different story).
02-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #12

Original Poster
bought the lens.. the pin is not even protruding. it is more like contact rather than pin. as for the lens quality. they are great.
02-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Great! We'll watch for pictures, hope you enjoy the use of it!

According to this site they made several - wow 380g, 445g, 685g? That's a lot of weight classes to contend in!
02-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #14

Original Poster
here. i took this picture half an hour ago.. i used macro option for brief test. it seems that this site you posted is not entirely accurate because it states that filter size on all of them is 52mm. mine is 58, and weights 691gr according to my electronic kitchen scale, and the heaviest of them all according to site is 685. i would like to know what year was my built in. it has a serial number of 107004 if that is a serial number at all..
Attached Images

02-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Wow - how do they do that, make a lens with the same specs range from 380 to 690g?? And you're right, they list all 70-210s as having 52mm filters. I saw their 70-150 f/3.5 is a heavy beast, and that one is shown as using 58mm filters; that one is listed 1977 so very early for the PK bayonet mount to my memory. I wonder if yours is the same age given the similar specs.

I'm sure glad my 70-150 XR s a lightweight, 1981-vintage f/4! My lens' s/n is 103307, for what it's worth.. so maybe yours is the 2nd heavy one (date unlisted, sadly).
Great image by the way - what's in focus is really crisp.