Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

FA 43mm f1.9 Limited

I am looking at this lens, but it is not the silver color but black. Great shape, rave reviews here but was wondering if there are any inherent differences between the silver or black? Is one more collectible and/or pricey than the other?

PF Reviews: SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Thanks, Rick

02-13-2012, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The silver tends to sell for me, it's less common and more collectible. But they are otherwise identical. As far as I can tell, silver is still made (so new ones are MIV vs MIJ)

If you want to collect it, get an early serial number (and MIJ) and silver.

If you just want a camera lens, buy the cheapest one. (What is what I did.)
02-13-2012, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Silver seems to always be more expensive at auction, so collectible value is definitely higher. But optically it is the same lens, just a different paint job.
02-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's good to know they're identical builds! I am looking at one locally, and it's not anywhere near how much the silver ones seem to go for (reviews section)...

02-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The silver coating seems to be more durable than the regular black (possibly because of anodizing vs paint?) in my experience...
02-14-2012, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
axl
Veteran Member

It's funny with 43s. I went through 4 copies. 3x silver MIJ and one black MIJ. Have a look at this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31678-about-fa-43mm-ltd.html

To sum things up:
Silver MIJ come around often
Black MIJ seem to be rare (or at least not as available as silver)
Build may vary between batches but not noticeably so
First series of silver (first ever made) (most probably) used leaded glass and/or different coatings.
The early series with brown pouches seem to fetch more.
Black MIJ sells for as much as silver MIJ
And as poster above wrote, the silver finish is way more durable because of anodization vs painting the lens

My 2p
02-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

They are the same. pick the one you like.

02-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here in Singapore, both are priced the same. Here we need to pay at least USD $933.40 for either version.
02-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
They are the same..
I used to think so too, but sadly that's not true...
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
It's funny with 43s. I went through 4 copies. 3x silver MIJ and one black MIJ. Have a look at this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31678-about-fa-43mm-ltd.html

To sum things up:
Silver MIJ come around often
Black MIJ seem to be rare (or at least not as available as silver)
Build may vary between batches but not noticeably so
First series of silver (first ever made) (most probably) used leaded glass and/or different coatings.
The early series with brown pouches seem to fetch more.
Black MIJ sells for as much as silver MIJ
And as poster above wrote, the silver finish is way more durable because of anodization vs painting the lens

My 2p
Is this the synopsis of the 29 page thread? I don't have the heart to go through all 29 pages

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I used to think so too, but sadly that's not true...
Are they not optically the same?
02-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
The optical formulas are identical, as is the build quality as far as I can tell (and I've had my share of copies of the 43 over the past few years).

The older copies of the FA43 are reported to use leaded glass and/or different coatings. This may very well be the case, although I'm not 100% sure anyone has confirmed this with 100% certainty. Whether this has an impact on IQ is another story. I personally think there are more differences just from sample variation between 43 lenses (of all types) than there is between types of 43 lenses based on their age and/or color.
02-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't think a silver lens is more collectable just because it is silver - I also don't care about people paying more for the same lens in a different color/finish... 20 years ago black was considered the pro color - you wanted a black Nikon camera not a chrome version. Most photographers wear black clothes... Silver is more shiny than black. For me the black lens would have all the advantages. Selling gear in different color or finishing is a marketing gag. Seems like many people fall for it.
02-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread.

I'm in love with all pics I've seen from the FA 43. I must get it, even tho I got the FA 35 and DA 40. :S

The problem is that the price is up to about 600£ or 1000 dollars (with tax). Thats more than it used to be just a year or two ago. Is that how much I'll have to be prepared to pay?

Anyone got tips about some cheap european store/ebay site?
02-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Sorry for hi-jacking this thread.

I'm in love with all pics I've seen from the FA 43. I must get it, even tho I got the FA 35 and DA 40. :S

The problem is that the price is up to about 600£ or 1000 dollars (with tax). Thats more than it used to be just a year or two ago. Is that how much I'll have to be prepared to pay?

Anyone got tips about some cheap european store/ebay site?
keep and eye on marketplace here or pentaxuser.co.uk. Used 43s come regularly between £400-£450.

Good luck
02-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Is this the synopsis of the 29 page thread? I don't have the heart to go through all 29 pages

I wouldn't call in synopsis... I've read the thread back in the days, and if I remember correctly there is a link somewhere there which is related to different versions of 43Ltd. In that linked thread you'll find examples of how early version renders differently to later ones. I have witnessed this myself as my black 43 copy was WAY cooler in tone than my DA*55 yet all three silver copies were warmer!

Optical design is the same (in fact it's the same as used for 50/1.4 and 1.2 with very minor tweaks IMO) but the coatings and/or glass used on 43s did change over the length of production of the lens. There are too many folks reporting this for it to be a sample variations

my 2p