Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would also like to see a f/2 or faster DA 24mm lens, preferably with a "limited" body type. I have looked at the FA 24mm, and it looks like a great lens..... but I would love to have the pancake size for street photography, and the build quality/color palette to match my limited lineup.

I think the new DA 50mm 1.8 will be a popular lens with new Pentax consumers who want to start a prime kit and those who want a more cost friendly option to the DA* 55, but with the FA 50mm 1.4 out there it doesn't make a ton of sense to me. the reviews and samples images will tell the story, but the 50mm 1.4 is the same type of construction, a bit faster, has FF abilities and can be found for a good price. I am fond of my 50 1.4, as it seems most others are. Just not sure Pentax would introduce a lens that seems a tad redundant....at least in my bag.

02-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
I would also like to see a f/2 or faster DA 24mm lens, preferably with a "limited" body type. I have looked at the FA 24mm, and it looks like a great lens..... but I would love to have the pancake size for street photography, and the build quality/color palette to match my limited lineup.
FWIW, it's unlikely a SLR lens could be as wide as 24mm, be a pancake, and be as fast as f/2. A FA*24 is more future proof than any DA lens, and will likely out last any DA* (mind you just about any lens will out last a DA*).
02-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I'm happy with the new lens announcements too.
These cheaper 'plastic fantastics' offer so much performance for the price.
I will make Pentax more viable to new users too with the DA35/2.4 and 50/1.8 options.
If they could 'down spec/cripple ' a DA15/4ltd into a plastic DA16/4 (ie. a DA15 with relaxed test specs and probably poor edge performance, so its now 'downgraded' to 16mm), then Pentax will be extremely attractive.

Though I already have many 50mm and the 43ltd, I'd be interested to get the new DA50.

The new 560mm seems a good idea too. Not many people can afford a high end 500/4, but a reasonably priced 560/5.6 will attract much more people, while not being too short or slow.

Fast 24mm (ieg. FA24/2) is not small. I'd be happy enough with a K24/2.8 or FA28/2.8 designed smaller for APS-C image circle.

Certainly very positive things coming from Pentax/Ricoh.
02-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
FWIW, it's unlikely a SLR lens could be as wide as 24mm, be a pancake, and be as fast as f/2. A FA*24 is more future proof than any DA lens, and will likely out last any DA* (mind you just about any lens will out last a DA*).
Well, a DA 24/2 XS could presumably be small-ish, with some of the optics inside the body and built strictly to service the APS-C image circle . . . I'd much rather see that than a 21/3.2 in XS format. Of course I am also waiting for a K-0X with EVF . . .

02-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I really hope Pentax keeps introducing low-cost DA lenses, and doesn't put everything into XS lenses that won't clear the mirror in a DSLR. I'm glad to hear the XS40 will work with the DSLRs, but it's clear that future XS lenses will probably protrude too far into the body cavity.
02-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
it's clear that future XS lenses will probably protrude too far into the body cavity.
What an uncomfortable image!
02-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
What an uncomfortable image!
We're talking about the camera. THE CAMERA!

02-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

New DAs are a great move. Pentax has been in an uncomfortable position, producing cameras that are tops for price:performance, and lenses that aren't. A line of decently-performing bargain budget primes should help boost camera sales, and later entice users to move up to premium glass.
02-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote

I think the new DA 50mm 1.8 will be a popular lens with new Pentax consumers who want to start a prime kit and those who want a more cost friendly option to the DA* 55, but with the FA 50mm 1.4 out there it doesn't make a ton of sense to me. the reviews and samples images will tell the story, but the 50mm 1.4 is the same type of construction, a bit faster, has FF abilities and can be found for a good price. I am fond of my 50 1.4, as it seems most others are. Just not sure Pentax would introduce a lens that seems a tad redundant....at least in my bag.
Both Canon and Nikon have "competing" 50s. A cheaper $100-$150 lens at f1.8, and the better quality f1.4 that's more like $350. Before the 35 2.4, what was the cheapest non-kit lens in the Pentax lineup? I think it might have been the 50 1.4 at roughly $350. The 40ltd is also around the same price.

For new DSLR owners, it's a pretty big leap of faith for your first lens purchase. Having the entry-level lenses available is a great way to get new users started and trigger their LBA for future sales.