Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very pleased with the new DA prime lenses

I am very happy with Pentax's strategy of a new line of low-priced DA primes.

I purchased the DA 35/2.4 and have been blown away by the image quality. The light weight, small size and low cost encourage me to use it regularly, and I am always rewarded with nice pictures.

Now Pentax has introduced the DA 50. Same style, same build quality. I will definitely get this lens too. A nice short-portrait lens on my K-5. And if I'm lucky the new DA 50 will also work with my 35mm film bodies (just like the DA 35.)

I have the FA 77 and of course it is in a different league, with beautiful build quality. But the DA35 is optically in the same league.

I also love that the new DA series retains the look of the Pentax Limited lenses. This builds brand recognition, and stays true to Pentax's focus on high quality, compact cameras and lenses. Even die-hard Nikon and Canon shooters know about Pentax Limited lenses. The new DA series are nearly as desirable, and guess what? Everyone can afford to add some of these lenses to their kit! Most regular folks I know are loathe to spend as much or more on an additional lens than they spent on their camera body. The DA series gives this great group of photographers some fantastic lenses that they can aspire to photographically and be able to afford/justify adding to their camera kit.

I really look forward to seeing more of these DA lenses. The next lenses I'd love to see are:
  • DA 24mm/2.8
  • DA 105mm/2.8
Do you like or appreciate the new DA series? What lenses would you like to see done in the new DA style?

02-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Great to hear that at least one person is happy Moving this to the lens forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the move Adam.
02-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Forum Member

It amazed me that Pentax did not offer a cheap budget-conscious fairly-fast 50mm like certain competitors of theirs do. I'm glad to see Pentax change this.

Just like filmamigo:
  • I love the DA 35/2.4 L
  • I will definitely buy the 50/1.8
  • I will definitely try it on my MZ-7 to see if it works with film.

Shorter version: me too!

02-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #5

will certainly get the new 50mm lens!!!
02-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I am very happy with Pentax's strategy of a new line of low-priced DA primes.

I purchased the DA 35/2.4 and have been blown away by the image quality. The light weight, small size and low cost encourage me to use it regularly, and I am always rewarded with nice pictures.

Now Pentax has introduced the DA 50. Same style, same build quality. I will definitely get this lens too. A nice short-portrait lens on my K-5. And if I'm lucky the new DA 50 will also work with my 35mm film bodies (just like the DA 35.)

I have the FA 77 and of course it is in a different league, with beautiful build quality. But the DA35 is optically in the same league.

I also love that the new DA series retains the look of the Pentax Limited lenses. This builds brand recognition, and stays true to Pentax's focus on high quality, compact cameras and lenses. Even die-hard Nikon and Canon shooters know about Pentax Limited lenses. The new DA series are nearly as desirable, and guess what? Everyone can afford to add some of these lenses to their kit! Most regular folks I know are loathe to spend as much or more on an additional lens than they spent on their camera body. The DA series gives this great group of photographers some fantastic lenses that they can aspire to photographically and be able to afford/justify adding to their camera kit.

I really look forward to seeing more of these DA lenses. The next lenses I'd love to see are:
  • DA 24mm/2.8
  • DA 105mm/2.8
Do you like or appreciate the new DA series? What lenses would you like to see done in the new DA style?
You make good points there. Not everyone can or wants to spend 500+ on a single lens, so these decent yet low cost options are nice.

I'd love a 24mm lens too, maybe they can modify the FA* 24mm f2 design as they did with the 35mm f2 to make the DA lens... giving us a DA 24mm f2.4 Although, I'd be sad that it doesn't have quick-shift because I love that feature.

However, I'd rather have a D-FA 24mm f2.4 WR That's a lens I'd gladly spend more on.
02-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

Any word when the 50mm 1.8 goes on sale other that "Sometime in 2012"

I am ready to buy after really liking my 35mm 2.4.

02-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Isn't the new DA 40mm XS (the one that seems to fit the k-5) also cheaper than the original 40mm?
02-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes JinDesu, you are right! The new 40mm XS would probably look like the new DA lenses if the tiny barrel was longer

The new 40mm also makes the price-hike on the DA 40 Limited easier to take.
02-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree with the joy of using pentax primes. I miss a nice new pentax 28mm in my kit. I have a couple of old 28mm and having pentax Ltd lens I don't like the quality of the older 28mm. I find using that sigma primes have good quality, but their size and weight would mean i would never put it in my bag.
02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Its strange... but.... That 35mm F2.4 is without doubt one of the best lenses out there regardless of price.
Its not just MTF figures either its fantastic in low CAs an stuff. More lenses in the pipline like this one ?
Bring them on !!!!!!!!! I dont care if they look cheap n nasty with that kind of performance and price !
02-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Its strange... but.... That 35mm F2.4 is without doubt one of the best lenses out there regardless of price.
Its not just MTF figures either its fantastic in low CAs an stuff. More lenses in the pipline like this one ?
Bring them on !!!!!!!!! I dont care if they look cheap n nasty with that kind of performance and price !
In consideration, it is based on the 35mm F2 optically - so it does as well as that lens.

If the 50 F1.8 is based on the 50 F1.7, it'll be pretty damn good in resolution and so on, just a bit harsh on the bokeh according to a few on the forum.
02-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

A good friend was interested in getting a dSLR a short while ago. I sold him on the Pentax K-x two lens kit. He likes it and even took a photography class. Last time I saw him, he said the dreaded word - Canon! I suspect that someone in his class planted a bug in his ear. Now I have to lend him one of my DA Limiteds or get him to buy the DA 35/2.4 to convince him to stay a Pentaxian!
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What i think is way cool is the way that Ricoh is sending a message about Pentax by issueing a lens roadmap. Maybe that'll encourage more 3rd party lens mfr involved with the Pentax mount, such as Tamron. One of the reasons i bought the K10 in 2007 was the availability of 3rd party lenses.
02-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
You make good points there. Not everyone can or wants to spend 500+ on a single lens, so these decent yet low cost options are nice.

I'd love a 24mm lens too, maybe they can modify the FA* 24mm f2 design as they did with the 35mm f2 to make the DA lens... giving us a DA 24mm f2.4 Although, I'd be sad that it doesn't have quick-shift because I love that feature.

However, I'd rather have a D-FA 24mm f2.4 WR That's a lens I'd gladly spend more on.
Just buy the FA*24, there's always copies on ebay and occasionally copies for sale here (that's how I got mine). It's a great lens