Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Using film lenses on dslr's?

I tried some Sigma manual focus film lenses on a K-X. They didn't seem to want to go on. I didn't want to force it. They went on fine on a *istD.

Is there a trick to getting them to work with later model cameras?

02-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can you post a pic of the lens mount? It probably has an extra long aperture flange, or an out of place aperture flange. The K-x has the SDM connector, the *ist series didn't. Many Vivitars have this same problem.
02-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did not have lens here. So was looking for a photo of flange on the net. Found this.

http://www.robertstech.com/flange.htm

It answered my question, same thing you mentioned about the problem. Guess I'll have to grind away!
02-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I have a Tokina 28mm f2.8 with similar problem. So I cut the flange and it works. However it seems that the A pin on the mont is protruding too much and there is no spring to hold push it back when the lens is removed from the mount. Not a big deal as the pin retracts as soon as I change the setting from A to anything else. However I have to remember to change the setting from "A" when changing the lens. Do you have similar problem with yours?

02-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I modified a Vivitar lens slightly to make it compatible, but rather than cutting/grinding the flange down, I just undid the three tiny screws holding it and removed that ring altogether. It mounts and functions perfectly, and this way I could reattach (or at least include it) if I pass the lens on to someone else in future. No worries about iron filings getting into the camera, either.
02-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I checked the Sigma lens. The little problem protrusion can just be nipped off with a set of dykes. (diagonal cutters) the lenses work fine now.
02-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should be noted that this is not an issue of using "film" lenses on a DSLR but in using third party lenses.

This issue comes up from time to time with many third party lenses that likely use the same shield on every makers lens mount, (to save having different parts) and not respecting the ALL the details of the K mount design.

as people have noted, it is easily fixed.