Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sticky aperture blades

Just today i bought an RMC Tokina 28mm lens from Goodwill. It took me a few hours, but i ended up noticing the aperture blades are stuck wide open. Earlier i started to take it apart to see if i could get to the blade assembly, but it looks like this was attempted before, as one of the 3 screws that hold the plastic bit under the metal mount ring (which was easy to get off) is stripped clean. No way of getting that one out. Is there a way to get to the blades from the front? When i had the back off, i could manually move the blades with the bit that is attached to the resistance spring. It would be nice to be able to get this working. But if not, having a lens stuck at wide open isn't a deal breaker, as i took some nice shots right after i got it.

As you can see, its perfectly usable. Doing a search on the site yielded nothing helpful unfortunately. If i can't get it fixed, then its no big deal, as i didn't pay much for it at all. It would just make me feel good if i could do it on my own =o]

02-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure how the tokina is constructed but for my beck i was able to close the blades and see the oil on the blades itself and cleaned each one with alcohol from the front by removing the front elements. It didnt completely fix the problem as oil is still there just have to clean it progressively and continuously. Im on my fourth attempt and pretty much all e oil is removed and the blades snap quickly now. Just need to clean it one or two more times and it should be good as new.

Basically you have to figure out how to remove all the front elements and expose the blades. My route was remove the filter section then unscrew the first section of elements and then the blades are aavailable. Yours may be different.

Good luck
02-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Trouble is, figuring out how to get the front elements off =o.
02-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

This is an M42 lens right? There is a pin on the mount shoulder that needs to be depressed to allow the aperture to close.

02-19-2012, 02:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
No, its K Mount