Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax-F 50mm filter ring fix

Ok, so here are the results of my new (well used) 50mm F 1.7 lens. First of all, thank you very everyone's help and suggestions. This site has been a HUGE help. I received this lens from KEH for $159. It was advertised as a chipped filter ring, no picture. It ended up being a little more than a chipped filter ring - more like missing half of the filter ring. Probably should have been less than what I paid since it had no lens caps either, but oh well. My fix was adding a 49mm to 52mm adapter ring. This way I can interchange the lens caps and filters with my kits lenses. It ended up screwing right on without any modifying (even with 1/2 threads left). I then added a 52mm rubber hood which covered most of the thread gap. My reason for this lens was taking indoor action pictures of my son's TaeKwonDo tournaments. The last time I shot his tournament, I used the kit lens, and had to shoot at high ISO 3200 to get a decent shutter speed. I was a little discouraged. So, after reading, bidding, and fixing, the results of this lens are amazing. I shot in Sv mode with a 800 ISO dialed in. The results were a 1/800 shutter speed at F2.5. Totally awesome! Here are some of the pics:

F 50mm 1.7 - a set on Flickr

ATA Tournament 02/2012 - a set on Flickr

02-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's a pretty clever! Not a bad deal for the lens, either- it's quite sharp, after all

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Khoff2 Quote
ATA Tournament 02/2012 - a set on Flickr
A shorter and/or wider hood will remove the vignetting issue.
02-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
The vignetting was added post processing

02-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did the same on my copy But I used super glue to fix the 49-52mm step ring on to the filter rim (the left-over of it), and reinforced the connetion by using transparent tape, so I don't need to worry about breaking off the rest of the fiter rim later on

I don't use any other hood though 'cause the lens is like having a built-in hood already, especially w/ the step-up ring on.
02-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I had planned on using super glue as well, but once I screwed on the adapter - it was solid. I got the hood so I can interchange it with my other 52mm lenses. But, you're right, it probably doesn't need one.
02-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Khoff2 Quote
I had planned on using super glue as well, but once I screwed on the adapter - it was solid. I got the hood so I can interchange it with my other 52mm lenses. But, you're right, it probably doesn't need one.
I glued mine because the broken piece is a bit longer than yours, actually mine only had about half of the filter rim left. A filter or step-up ring just didn't stay on And I could see the left-over half had some small cracks too, probably wouldn't last long if I didn't do something on it.

Now it's very secure after the plastic surgery

02-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

Now tell me plastic bayonets in modern DA lenses are not evil. What'll happen to them in 10 years?