Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Help - Tokina SL 28mm 2.8 Pentax KA-mount

I bought this lens advertised as a "Tokina SL 28mm 2.8 Pentax KA-mount mint condition" off eBay because I wanted to try an inexpensive maunual focus wide angle prime. Problem is, it won't mount on my K10D. Below is a picture of my FA50 F1.4 next to the Tokina, and you can see that flange (what ever it is called) is much wider on the Tokina, which prevents it from sitting flush in the K10D lens mount. Besides the fact that it won't mount on my K10D, it appears to be in great condition.

So where did I go wrong, and do I have a valid argument with the seller that this is not a legitimate Pentax KA mount?

Thanks

01-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the same lens. I was able to make it work on my DS, but had to remove a small pin and had to file down the flange. This is a Ricoh mount. it's like a K mount, but some had this wide flange.

It worked great, but was a little softer than i liked, and the lack of multi-coating bothered me.. I paid $5.50 for it, and later sold it for $10.

Here's a picture I took with it, of the tools I used to convert it, and the pin I removed;

01-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
When I saw the pin and the "R-P/K" I thought it might be a Ricoh, but I wasn't 100% sure. The auction only showed a picture of the front of the lens. Thanks.
01-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's probably a good thing that it wouldn't go on, otherwise you may not have gotten it off easily with that pin.

It's a nice size lens. You'll probably like it.
I use that size for 99.9% of my landscapes.

01-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
Considering what I paid for it (it was a lot more than $5-10), I'm going to ask the seller for a refund. No way I'm going to hack it up. Too bad, because I think I would have liked it too. I'm off to find a Pentax-A 28 mm 2.8...
01-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Try looking at Vivitar Series 1 lenses as well.
01-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
Will do. Thanks!
01-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had to do the same modification on my Series 1 70-210 f3.5

I think around the april - may time frame there was a posting, with all instructions how to do the modification.

I am not sure on the tamron lens how the shield is attached to the lens mount, but on the S-1 lens, it is three tiny screws.

I cut it out and colored the shield black with a sharpie afterwards.

01-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I have the same problem on 2 lens and I bought the dremel tool from Walmart with drill and grinding bits. I will report back what happens.

And I have taken out the base cap by unscrewing the 3 tiny screws out of my Vivitar 28mm f/2.5
and it works without the base cap in shooting. Don't know if there is side effect in leaking light in reflection, but worth trying

#1 taking the base cap from my Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 which probably have a K mount suited for Ricoh lens

#2 afterwards

The next step is for me to use dremel tool to grind down that silly flange on the base cap so that it is compatible to the K mount. Without the base cap, you can see my lens performing with some pictures in these photo set:

Pentax Gear from eBay & marketplace - a photoset on Flickr

I will update you how I use my dremel to grind down the flange.

Thanks,
Hin
01-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brett Quote
Considering what I paid for it (it was a lot more than $5-10), I'm going to ask the seller for a refund. No way I'm going to hack it up. Too bad, because I think I would have liked it too. I'm off to find a Pentax-A 28 mm 2.8...
Can you share with us how much you pay for it? I do have a couple of 28mm with A settings that I am selling for cheap with price not fixed yet. If you are interested, please let me know with PM.
  • Abinar 28mm f/2.8 with A setting, Macro at 1:4 great Macro for me
  • Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 which I will alter the flange, it is super bright for me
  • Super Takumar with M42 adapter as a converted K lens

Thanks,
Hin
01-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #11

Original Poster
The seller is a real stand-up guy and immediately refunded all my money plus extra for the return of the lens without me first returning the lens. Said he wasn't aware that Tokina had a Ricoh mount and admitted he hadn't tried it on his camera. A little inconvenience and a couple of lessons learned. More proof that not all of the sellers on eBay are lowlifes.

Now I'm back to square one. Since people want so much for the used Pentax SMC-A 28mm, I started looking at the Sigma 20, 24, and 28mm 1.8s. Big and heavy, but fast. I hadn't given it much thought, so I'm going to have to go home and play with my zoom to see if the 20mm is worth the money over the 24mm, and 28mm.

Also got a Sears 50mm 2.0 in the mail today that I bought off eBay for $8 just to see what a fully manual lens is like to work with. Its in great shape, and the flange is the right size.

Thanks all.
01-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #12

The seller is a real stand-up guy and immediately refunded all my money plus extra for the return of the lens without me first returning the lens. Said he wasn't aware that Tokina had a Ricoh mount and admitted he hadn't tried it on his camera. A little inconvenience and a couple of lessons learned. More proof that not all of the sellers on eBay are lowlifes.

Now I'm back to square one. Since people want so much for the used Pentax SMC-A 28mm, I started looking at the Sigma 20, 24, and 28mm 1.8s. Big and heavy, but fast. I hadn't given it much thought, so I'm going to have to go home and play with my zoom to see if the 20mm is worth the money over the 24mm, and 28mm.

Also got a Sears 50mm 2.0 in the mail today that I bought off eBay for $8 just to see what a fully manual lens is like to work with. Its in great shape, and the flange is the right size.

Thanks all.
The Sigma 24mm f/2.8 manual focus KA mount lens is quite sharp and less expensive than the AF version. It gets pretty good score in photodo.com. The Sigma 28mm f/2.8 is also quite sharp and they should be much more affordable than the f1.8 lenses. I have come across 24mm Vivitar and Tokina manual focus lenses with the KA mount, and they presented no problems for mounting. I sold my Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 after I got a Sigma 24mm f/2.8 lens.
01-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have the same problem on 2 lens and I bought the dremel tool from Walmart with drill and grinding bits. I will report back what happens.

And I have taken out the base cap by unscrewing the 3 tiny screws out of my Vivitar 28mm f/2.5
and it works without the base cap in shooting. Don't know if there is side effect in leaking light in reflection, but worth trying

#1 taking the base cap from my Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 which probably have a K mount suited for Ricoh lens

#2 afterwards

The next step is for me to use dremel tool to grind down that silly flange on the base cap so that it is compatible to the K mount. Without the base cap, you can see my lens performing with some pictures in these photo set:

Pentax Gear from eBay & marketplace - a photoset on Flickr

I will update you how I use my dremel to grind down the flange.

Thanks,
Hin
the only thing you might have a problem with is internal reflections. I think you want the dull black shield ack there as opposed to all the shiny parts. It also helps prevent junk falling into the lens with the cap off.
01-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #14

Original Poster
Here is a listing for a Vivitar 28mm 2.8 on eBay to give you a rough idea on the value of your Vivitar lens.

Vivitar 28mm lens for Pentax - eBay (item 190186936586 end time Jan-06-08 14:49:08 PST)

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Can you share with us how much you pay for it? I do have a couple of 28mm with A settings that I am selling for cheap with price not fixed yet. If you are interested, please let me know with PM.
  • Abinar 28mm f/2.8 with A setting, Macro at 1:4 great Macro for me
  • Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 which I will alter the flange, it is super bright for me
  • Super Takumar with M42 adapter as a converted K lens

Thanks,
Hin
01-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Thanks all.
Try looking hard for a film camera that nobody wants and if you get lucky like me, I get a Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 along with 2 good lens and a good Sunpak flash and a Pentax p5 body for < $50. I consider my Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 to be $5.00 in the trade. And that Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 really rocks with character, smooth focusing ring , an A setting, all plastic and cheap feel but damn, it is light like a pancake.

And my amateur pictures in testing the lens

I shoot into the sunlight and hence the flare in the red dot. I suspect also not so great shielding in the lens to more prone to flare

a cropped version

hand-held shot

Lot more test shots in my flickr

Good luck,
Hin