Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Get the K5.

Looking at the list of lenses you have outlined, you have most range covered unless you are not happy with your Tamron zoom.

I shoot mostly (>90%) with FA 31 Ltd. Looking at the photos taken with Sigma 30 in other threads here , my impression is the FA 31 is not 'a lot' better than the Sigma 30. There is however a big difference in cost.

All the best with your selection.

02-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #17
Inactive Account

get the K5, like the K20 this body is a major leap forward and pricing and reliability for the K5 has never been better.
Although the FA31 is awesome buying it will only help in one FL- getting the K5 will aid you in ALL your current FLs
I would keep a hold of the K20 aswell for a backup body.
The K-01 as other have said is really in addition to camera particulary if you want better video. But the K5 is where it is at
02-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your photos will gain more in quality from a K20D to K-5 upgrade than they would from your current lenses to a FA31. The low light capability alone is enough to make the choice for you.

And ignore posts talking about future value. This isn't an "investment". The bottom could drop out of the full frame K mount lens market tomorrow. (Probably won't but anything is possible.) You spend money on equipment to take better photos. If you have limited money, you spend that money on what would be the biggest improvement in image quality, not what someone might pay you for the equipment 5 years from now. I've had to sell a lot of amazing lenses in the past month or so. I know how hard you can get burned if you think in terms of future value.
02-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if he sells his K20D, 28, and DA40, that would theoretically be enough to afford him the K-01. and if he has some savings left, let's say $900 budget for a purchase, he might be able to purchase the FA31 as well.

02-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I personally would get the K5. I think the improvement in dynamic range high iso capability really opens up a lot of possibilities. Down the road you could certainly think about the FA 31 -- good glass like that is always worth collecting, but the question is which to do first and which to do second and I would get K5 first.

On side note, what didn't you like about the Sigma 30?
02-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow. Thanks for your inputs, guys. I think the choice is Clear: I will get K-5 and sell K20D, then go for a 31ltd later should I decide to go for a prime that range.
The reason I got a 17-50 tammy is that I wanted a flexibility in that short range. I mostly used Sig30mm for just about everything, but I found myself feeling limitated by the lack of control in an uncontrolled environment. Sometimes it was too short or too long and found myself unable to move to get the angle I wanted. Also, I hated changing lenses in the field.

I know FA31 is revered as one of the best lenses Pentax has to offer, and I've been seeing so many great results from users from this forums, hence my interest in the lens.
I've been quite happy with K20D, but I just couldn't get past the ISO800 for my likings. Hence why I had Sig30 and FA50 both in 1.4 aperture, even though my favorite aperture range is 2.8-4 for portraits on most lenses I use.

I think I'll go for K-5 and rid of K20D (or keep it to use manual lenses on it since I've Katzeye focusing screen) Shooting at ISO3200 with low noise sounds like witchcraft to me, but perhaps I can join the highiso cult once and for all.

Thanks a lot for your input!

On the side note, @Rondec, While Sigma30 is one of my favorite lenses I've used, there is a reason for selling it. The main reason is that I've no real 'need' for a 30mm prime since I've a zoom that covers that range. And if I had to nitpick siggy30, it's the bokeh. The lens is sharp (in the center) and dof is very thin. However, the bokeh is kind of...triangular. when taking photos with trees, it's noticeable on the leaves.
02-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Get the K5 (it's a steal at the current price) and sell your K20D (still can grab some money if sold now), that's my suggestion.

As to 31, you can always get it later on ...
I agree with this.
K20D can still get some money out of it to subsidize the K5 purchase.
Any later and it won't be worth selling.

The FA31ltd is still avaliable, so get that in the near term.

The same can't be done the other way round.
02-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I probably won't be selling my K20D, most likely...
Never a bad idea to keep a second body, amirite?
Also, It's equipped with Katzeye and an eyecup, so I could always use it for manual lenses.

02-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still have my K20 as a spare- can't see the sense in selling it unless I buy some other new body that isn't made yet. But get the K-5 definitely, it's a leap beyound the K20.
02-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have good reason to assume that the K5 will be replaced by something new by photokina and the FA31 is quite large and expensive for the K5 sensor. That said I am enjoying K5 and FA 31 right now. I suggest that you wait a little longer to either save some money or have better options in a few months - but as frank pointed out, it could be a good time for selling the K20 and the price for the K5 will not drop much further. Getting a 30/31 mm lens, I would get rid of the 40 mm unless you need it for a minimalistic setup. I was thinking about matching a 40 mm with a 15 mm lens as two lens combo for hiking.
Get the K5 now and see how the +/-30 mm range develops in the future.
02-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #26
Inactive Account

In the focal range you like the lenses tend to be smaller. A K-01 would get along well with that, reducing a bit your camera size. If WR and VF are things you can do without it seems a good option as well. Might be worth to wait for the reviews.