Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #1

HOYA PRO1 Digital polarizer - how much is it ?

Hi all,

Looking to buy a polarizing filter, and found this HOYA PRO1 Digital on Ebay for $40 - which is good comparing to like $140 at B&H.. Too good, perhaps ?
Is it likely to be a fake ?

Thanks.

01-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by ELT Quote
Hi all,

Looking to buy a polarizing filter, and found this HOYA PRO1 Digital on Ebay for $40 - which is good comparing to like $140 at B&H.. Too good, perhaps ?
Is it likely to be a fake ?

Thanks.
Check well if the one you see in ebay is multicoated (big difference there). Check also the filter diameter (prices for polarizers of different size change wildly). If it is not multicoated then the price is fair.
01-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
ELT

Original Poster
Multicoated, 62mm...
01-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Not Registered

I just saw you are a new member so first of all, wellcome to the forums. The polarizer you are describing it is very cheap but you might want to check this page Photo - Hoya Filter. Hoya have different qualities, the DMC are cheaper than the super HMCs which are closer to the BH and Heliopan. I have the super HMC and I am very happy so far. I would advice you to expend more money in a thin 77mm and a few step up rings (these are inexpensive) so you can use it with most of your lens. Other people might give you better advice.

PS that web store is based in hong kong so expect a shipping close to 40 dollars. It really worth it if you want to buy several filters to cheapen the shipping.

01-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
ELT

Original Poster
Thanks, Gruoso.
I've been reading this forum for a while, just didn't post
The link you gave actually leads to the same store I found on ebay. Are those guys reputable ?
My only concern is that their prices seem almost too good (Hoya | 62mm Circular Polarizing Pro 1Digital | XD62CRPL | B&H vs Hoya 62mm PRO1 DIGITAL Circular Polarizer Filter DMC *).
Shipping is $10, not too bad.
01-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
ELT

Original Poster
Hm.. Googled hvStar, people seem to agree that the stuff they sell is likely to be genuine, and if it's a fake - it's a very good fake
01-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by ELT Quote
Thanks, Gruoso.
I've been reading this forum for a while, just didn't post
The link you gave actually leads to the same store I found on ebay. Are those guys reputable ?
My only concern is that their prices seem almost too good (Hoya | 62mm Circular Polarizing Pro 1Digital | XD62CRPL | B&H vs Hoya 62mm PRO1 DIGITAL Circular Polarizer Filter DMC *).
Shipping is $10, not too bad.
I bought several filters from them only the cheaper (and smaller) one had a small problem easy to solve. That problem looked derived from the shipping (it is shipped in an envelope) but as I told above it was easily solved. Maybe you can ask to have the filters shipped in a small box.

01-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
ycl

Hi

A few weeks ago, I bought a 72mm Hoya Pro 1 Digital filter on eBay, from a Hong Kong-based seller, for about $70 or $80 -- well below the $150 or $170 price at B&H or other similar U.S. retailers. I can't recall the name of the seller, but it was a good & easy transaction.

So, as long as the seller's feedback checks out, I would go ahead and buy it.