Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #1

SMC P-DA f/2.8 40mm Limited

Well the title says it. The lens arrived here yesterday in the Middle East where I'm deployed. Everything about it works very well for my rather unique requirements. With the 40mm Limited lens attached my K100D fits in a uniform cargo pocket. The reduced overall size & weight makes the K100 carry and look like a bigg P&S. I work nights here and, when scheduling allows, also work nights state side since that fits my natural tendency of being a bit of a night owl. The lens is bright & fast so it performs quite well at night with it's wide aperture. Sometimes at night / low light I can't use a flash, so again the speed of the lens is great, and the K100's integral SR further aids in taking pics in less than ideal light conditions.

In general use the lens is very clear and bright. After playing with it for a day I'm also findng that the 40mm focal length is great for all around use. Every now and then I do miss some of extra width that the 18-55 kit lens offers, but those occasions are few and far between. Overall I'm impressed with the portability, light weight, easy handling, and speed that a medium focal length prime offers. I really like this lens

12-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have it too, and I couldn't be more satisfied. Sharp, crisp, light, and compact. Plus, it works flawlessly on film bodies because its optical construction is identical to that of the M version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am waiting for the arrival of this lens since it is already sold out in bhphoto

90g apparently and I had seen great images from this lens like mskad and others have posted.

I have been quite reserved about the lens not being bright enough. So I had never really ordered it from US,

Will see what the lens can do soon

Can you try it out to see the bokeh quality of this lens at all?

Ta
12-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe we should move this thread to the reviews forum? It's nice and informative

Here's a pic of the pancake on the K10D: https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/Pentax_Lens_Photos/Pentax_40_Limited_Pancake_6.jpg

And a sample shot showing how the 9 aperture blades create a smooth DOF: https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/Sample_Photos/DA_40mm_Sample_Photo_1.jpg

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks Mo. That pic is exactly what I am after actually!

That bokeh is a nice softening one, not aggressive or intimidating. Smooth as you call it.

The cactus is sharp and crisp sharp as you described it. I am happy I have this lens ordered as well.

90g for a lens with that quality. I am happy
12-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
Sample Pics

First are three sample pics I took free hand at my test, testing bokeh of the lens as requested. Pics were taken at f/2.8, f/4.0, and f/5.6 using aperture priority and letting the K100D handle the shutter speed, flash was not used. The fourth pic is of a friend holding a torch type butane lighter. It was taken free hand, no flash, night scene mode, SR turned on of course. All pics taken full resolution 6MP JPEG, then resized to 25% for ease of posting /uploading. If pics with a subject in focus further from the lens are better let me know and I'll see what I can do.

View Picture EXIF
Name:  test f28.JPG
Views: 4104
Size:  147.4 KB
View Picture EXIF
Name:  test f40.JPG
Views: 4107
Size:  146.1 KB
View Picture EXIF
Name:  test f56.JPG
Views: 4087
Size:  165.9 KB
View Picture EXIF
Name:  lighter flame RS.JPG
Views: 4225
Size:  154.4 KB
12-25-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I also have this lens and agree with the previous posters. I wanted to order the 50 1.4 but it is out of stock everywhere, so I went ahead with the 40 2.8. I am very happy with it.
12-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
Candid Shots - Thumbs Up!

I've been using the this lens for candid shots in the shop. Conditions are tungsten lighting, no flash, and basic UV filter on the lens. With the aperture wide open it naturally has a thin depth of field. The lens gets a nice bright & clear focus on the subject with a nicely blurred background. It turns candids into near portraits. I keep finding more and more to like about this lens.

01-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #9

Original Poster
New Images

Here are a couple shots I took while seeing what I, a novice, could learn to do with this lens. I'm quite happy with what it does even in my hands.

View Picture EXIF
Name:  Piled RS.JPG
Views: 3920
Size:  146.2 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  SureFire fades to lenscap RS.JPG
Views: 4001
Size:  138.6 KB
01-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new lens. Please keep it safe.

Oddly enough, I'm thinking of selling mine. The image quality is great and it is certainly small. The problem is that I'm just not using it. After the first few weeks, I took it off and it hasn't found its way back on my camera. For what I could get out of the DA40, I could add $150US and get the DA16-45, which I would use daily.
01-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Oddly enough, I'm thinking of selling mine.
How much would you be selling it for? Oh wait, I'm still broke after getting my fisheye. Yet there's so many lenses and so many people feeding my LBA! AAaahghh!