Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Can someone tell me what this might be in my lens?

I picked up an older zoom lens (an 80-200mm f2.8c) for my K100 off of Ebay last week and just got to try it out last night when I noticed a hazing in my shots:

I cleaned both the front & rear elements, and that's when I noticed this on the inner zoom element behind the front glass:

Needless to say, I can't get to that without taking the lens apart, which I don't want to do as I'm klutzy as heck. I took it by a Wolf Camera to see if anyone there could identify it, but no one was sure. One person did suggest that it might be condensation (the lens was shipped from California to GA in 2 days) and to try leaving it in a bunch of uncooked rice for a couple of days to see if that does anything. It's currently in a ziplock full of white rice right now (lens caps are still on-I didn't want to risk the rice grains scratching the elements), but it'll be Saturday before I can take it to another camera shop that does on-site work and get an opinion from them. Can anyone give me an educated guess about what this might be? Thanks in advance.

01-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The haze is caused by separation of one of the lens elements. I have an old Tokina 80-200 f/2.8 with the same problem. I looked online and found one solution was to disassemble the lens and heat up the element overnight in a warm oven. I hear zoom lens are difficult to work on so I won't be trying this.
01-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Those black marks look like they might be fungus to me

Open up that ziplock, and let it air out.
Plus remove the lens caps and wrap it loosely in a soft cloth to let it breath.
At least the bottom lens cap.

I wouldn't expect it to improve to usable condition.
01-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
It's a Tokina. Tyama, were you able to get the lens fixed at all?

01-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter

No, it probably would cost more to fix than it's worth. The hazy element on my lens is one of the inner ones. I used a flashlight to see it. The bad element will be illuminated by the flashlight. I would ask for a refund if you are able.

I also had another lens with this problem. It is a Pentax M 100mm f/4 macro. I disassembled the lens using a tutorial posted by Roy on another forum, Steve's Digicam. The bad element was the front one and wasn't fixed by heating it.

Anyone out there want either lens for parts, just pay for shipping?

P.S. Thank you Roy for your tutorial.

Last edited by Tyama; 01-03-2008 at 09:02 PM.