Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep'em clean! Vivitar 100mm Macro

Had my good old Vivitar 100mm f2.8 Macro cleaned, I had noticed degraded image quality. Looked at it backwards up to a good light source and saw a haze where the blades had slung some oil over time. (it gets hot in Florida cars... a common plague).

Anywho, a trip to our buddy Alan at Peach and she's good as new. He had to do my Tamron SP 80-200 F2.8 for same reason last year. On that one, I had noticed a lack of contrast in outdoor pic's. I thought I needed a haze filter or polorizer... but the haze was on the inside of a rear element, not on the horizon, LOL!

So next time your favorite old glass doesn't seem up to snuff, give it a close look inside and see if maybe it just needs a good cleaning.

Took a quick sample pic after cleaning. K5, 180th sec, F6.7 indirect AF360FGZ flash using bounce card.

Eric

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have an old Sigma macro that needs cleaning... About what does it cost to have someone clean it?
(The person who cleaned yours... local or did you mail it in?) Thanks.
02-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am fortunate to have the Nancy Green camera shows come to town once a year, and even though the pickings do seem slim for any Pentax gear, Alan from Peach Camera always comes and sets up a table and does camera/sensor cleaning, and minor repairs on the spot. I think he charges pretty much a flat rate at the show, like $30 for most everything, but if you had to mail the lens in, the labor rate would be like $50, plus the added cost of shipping back and forth.
Eric
02-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting, I just noticed the EXIF info reads 200mm... took me a second to figure that one out, then I remembered, when you fire up a K5 with a A lens, it asks you the focal length for the shake reduction to work properly, then the screen goes away quickly if you don't adjust it right away. Heh, these smarty pants camera's do keep us on our toe's thats for sure! Heh.

Eric

02-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for your reply.
I just got a quote back from KEH. $90 plus shipping there. The lens cost me $125, so not really cost effective.
02-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmm... that isn't really cost effective at that price no... but, you can always try to find someone local, or drop by Peach next time your in Atlanta? I dunno...

I don't think I gave a lot to buy my Vivitar used, probably half what you paid for your Sigma, but I've gotten a lot of use out of it, and I felt is was well worth having cleaned.

The Lester Dine Vivitars seem to be holiding their value pretty well still. A modern day equivilent, or the Pentax 100mm WR Macro is going to cost a lot more, and I don't really need or want Autofocus for macro work anyways.

Eric