Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I like to think of the 35Ltd as a general purpose lens at a middle-of-the-road focal length that JUST SO HAPPENS to have super close focus ability. If you are primarily interested in a lens for macro purposes, I think you will be better served with a longer lens. The minimum focus distance on the 35Ltd is absurdly close, by which I mean absurdly close:

For a fishtank this might be okay if you are patient, but I think you might also consider getting a polarizing filter for your 70-200 to see if that helps you cut through reflections.
Where did you get that lens hood??

02-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Hi
Sorry more people have not responded to your thread as you would have had a better consensus.

If you are doing fish and have glass tanks then flash at an angle will be OK for many species however some silver fish will look like crap using flash. The flash will stop the movement, reduce the problem with reflections etc etc. I have used flash for decades going through glass because you loose a lot of light going through glass and water. If the tanks are any kind of plastic use what ever lens you already have as the artificial glass is nver really flat and the problem with the surface will be worse than the crappiest lens.

I can't see a 35mm macro working for you unless you are doing small sharks. For aquarium fish (I mostly do marine invertebrates) I use a macro 70mm sigma or 100 pentax
Hey, it's the internet. There are so many questions and only so much time and energy to answer them all. I'm surprised over all the answers I got to a quite silly question.

I've started to learn about the flash and had a couple of decent attempts with a wireless flash (Promaster 7500edf) from the top of the tank (to minimize the flat look) but recently I can't get it to trigger correctly by the on-camera flash. I can't seem to get the sync right and I've tried front/rear curtain, x-sync and different shutter speeds and so on. It's like the camera and flash misses each other now. I bet that I've done something wrong somehow.

Edit: Somehow the flash works correctly just after I wrote this.
02-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RagingWinds Quote
Where did you get that lens hood??
That's the retractable hood that comes built in to the 35Ltd ;-)
02-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The 35 2.8 macro looks from MTF numbers like it's not quite as strong as the DA 35 2.4.
In fact, the reverse may be true,
based on Photozone's test of the DA 35/2.4 on the K-5,
and the DA 35/2.8 Macro Ltd's Tokina clone on the Nikon D7000,
which has the same sensor as the K5 (albeit with different AA filters).