Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Screwmount lenses incoming!

So, I'm going to get a few screwmount lenses from my uncle, along with a 2X converter (unknown brand) and a Spotmatic body. I'll be getting the screwmount adapter so I can use these lenses on my K-5. I'm wondering if anyone can share how these lenses are expected to perform. They should be in very good condition. Here they are:

Takumar 50 1:1.4
Vivitar 35 1:3.5
Soligor 250 1:4.5

These were all bought in the 60's as far as I am aware, and are one owner lenses (my uncle). I presume these are all without multicoating. Obviously, I don't expect optical perfection but I'm really forward to trying this old glass. I have pics of all except the 50. It's still a few months before I will get them.

02-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 50/1.4 will be good. I have one. The others I do not know.

The single coating is not a real problem. Can get more flare, but lens hoods keep stray light off the elemeents and they should work very well withotu extreme lights in the image, and quite well with extreme light included.

They should be very nice to use.
02-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations! The Takumar is very very good; the Vivitar and Soligor should be decent. The 2x TC may be... interesting. Those all probably date from the 1960s.
02-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Congratulations! The Takumar is very very good; the Vivitar and Soligor should be decent. The 2x TC may be... interesting. Those all probably date from the 1960s.
What he said, though I think you will probably find the TC + Soligor a little disappointing. The key is to have fun. You might even want to get the foams replaced (likely not still good) and do some shooting with the Spotmatic. Some time using these lenses with the body they were designed for provides good perspective as to how usable they actually were when paired to vintage bodies.

Steve

02-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #5

The Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 is definitely my best 50mm, it's solid, has the old-style takumar focusing ring and gives awesome pictures at pretty much any f-stop.

There are a few caveats, however. It's prone to radioactive yellowing, which can be cured by sunlight. Google how if your copy has it. Also, focus ring lubrication will harden in cold weather (-10 C or so). And of course, it's M42. But don't let that discourage you.