Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #1

K5 & 70mm f2.4 Limited behavior...

Hello there

I have recently bought the 70mm f2.4 Limited lens and I must say that, though in the learning process to master it, it is a wonderful peace of kit !
But I have a question concerning one particular shot.

In real time, the chair is grey as shown. This one was taken with the 70mm but I cannot reproduce it any more. Every time I try, I always get the colour of the second picture, which is obviously wrong!

I have tried to shoot (with the box on the chair) in between 100 -> 800 iso and from f2.4 -> 10 with no luck
If I shoot without the box, the grey of the chair is perfect. With the box on... Blue !

Can someone help me understanding why I could only get once the correct color and not any more?
Is it the lens fault and should I return it ? Both pictures were taken with the W/B on auto. I have zero problems elsewhere with tat lens...

I have tried the same with my 40mm 2.8 and at the same setting, the picture is also "a little" blueish but nothing compare as above. If I use 3.4 it's perfect!
Also tested it with the 50 1:1.4 at the same setting, it's very very very slightly blue at f2.8. and perfect at 3.5

Can we call that Xtreme purple fringe?

Many thanks for your ideas / suggestions

Cheers
Bernard

02-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The white balance is wrong in the second photo, though I can't see what each is set to because the EXIF data is chopped. If the auto WB is getting it wrong then set it manually using one of the pre-sets or a fully manual calibration.
02-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The white balance is wrong in the second photo, though I can't see what each is set to because the EXIF data is chopped. If the auto WB is getting it wrong then set it manually using one of the pre-sets or a fully manual calibration.
Thanks for answering.
The Exif chopped should just read B/W -> Automatic
I will try to set it manually and... see!

Cheers
02-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto white balance is just a guessing game, based on looking at the colors in the photo and trying to figure out what color light might have produced those colors. Sometimes it guesses wrong, especially when bright colors are involved. Nothing to worry about.

02-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for that. At least I know that I own a box able to drive the K5 crazy