Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Differences in Lenses

So, I'm new to the DSLR and its been YEARS since I have dabbled in Photography. I'm just a bit confused as to the difference between pentax and bower lenses. Are there a certain brand that is best quality to use with the pentax SLR?

02-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not really, no. Each of the major brands (Pentax, Sigma, Tamron) has its strengths, and some overlap. I'd start by thinking about what you want to do with the camera, choose a lens type which fits that goal (and budget), then start looking through the lens databases to see what people say about them.

There are other less-major brands available, too. That's all going to involve your research - welcome to the club!

PS. I thin Bower is a bargain-brand, though they may well have a couple strong offerings.
02-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the response! I was just a bit confused because I was kind of going through looking up the differences in what each lens was used for- and "Bower" lenses kept popping up. I'm starting to realize how rusty I am & how little I remember (last SLR owned over 7 years ago)...think maybe I should take a photography class to get a refresher. The only huge negative is I want to learn to use MY camera...seems like people are primarily using Canon or Nikons...
02-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brandi0o Quote
.think maybe I should take a photography class to get a refresher.
Browse the forums here and ask question, you will learn at least as much as you would by taking a class.

Bower lenses are really bargain-oriented, I've never seen an impressive one. I'd stick with the three big names (Pentax, Sigma, Tamron) for new purchases, on the used market you can start by browsing the database here and read reviews. If a lens is not listed, chances are it's not particularly interesting...

02-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The main thing to note is that Bower/Vivitar/Samyang lenses are all manual focus. Take a look at the lens reviews and third-party sections

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd first check the reviews of any lens you want to buy.
The reviews are user-based, ergo there's a bias on the score. So be prepared to knock off a score or two for more accurate reviews.
02-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, be sure to read the user reviews. Lenses from any maker may be good, or bad, or indifferent, depending on the lens. If you insist on new lenses, then your options are Pentax, Tamron and Sigma for autofocus (AF), and Samyang-Bower-Phoenix-Vivitar (all the same optics) for manual focus (MF). Good used lenses, either AF or MF, can be found in the Marketplace here. When in doubt about any specific lens, ASK US!! We'll be happy o share our experiences and expertise, such as it is.
02-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brandi0o Quote
Thanks for the response! I was just a bit confused because I was kind of going through looking up the differences in what each lens was used for- and "Bower" lenses kept popping up. I'm starting to realize how rusty I am & how little I remember (last SLR owned over 7 years ago)...think maybe I should take a photography class to get a refresher. The only huge negative is I want to learn to use MY camera...seems like people are primarily using Canon or Nikons...
contrary to what you might hear, all camera makers are just about the same

02-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
contrary to what you might hear, all camera makers are just about the same
Except for the differences.
02-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Except for the differences.
And the insecurities. And costs.
02-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
all camera makers are just about the same
and the lenses, mostly. And the weather sealed bodies. And the better ergonomics...
02-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Just be careful with random opinions on user forums, just like when people tell you XXXBrand lenses are not impressive, while in fact they have never got their hands on one!

Cheers!

Abbazz