Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
what's going on with pentax lens value?

Even though I recently bought K85 from fellow forum member, just out of curiosity i kept eye on several ebay auctions on similar lenses (M85/2, K85/1.8, SMC Takumar 85/1.8). While M85/2 was sold on quite reasonable price, i was pretty much surprised how much did pople bid on the other two. Today K85 was sold for 460 EUR. Even though it is fantastic lens, it is inconvenient to use and old secondhand, therefore that price is insanely high. I just witnessed moreless the same pattern with K18/3.5 and K30/2.8 i used to have. All of them selling for prices that would get you easily brand new DA limited. Could somebody see the logic in it?

02-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there a logic in LBA?

Besides, it's the supply and demand fluctuation.
Look at the current Harddrive prices. What was $50 6 months ago are not $150 due to lack of available number of hard drives.
There are fewer and fewer k kenses popping up these days, and will continue as time passes.
02-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Even though I recently bought K85 from fellow forum member, just out of curiosity i kept eye on several ebay auctions on similar lenses (M85/2, K85/1.8, SMC Takumar 85/1.8). While M85/2 was sold on quite reasonable price, i was pretty much surprised how much did pople bid on the other two. Today K85 was sold for 460 EUR. Even though it is fantastic lens, it is inconvenient to use and old secondhand, therefore that price is insanely high. I just witnessed moreless the same pattern with K18/3.5 and K30/2.8 i used to have. All of them selling for prices that would get you easily brand new DA limited. Could somebody see the logic in it?
Yes, the logic is that you can get any DA limited anytime as they are still in production while the lendary K series lenses are not, also the latter is FF compatible I guess a lot of folks are still hoping for Pentax to release a digital FF camera in the near future.
02-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have two copies of the K30/2.8 a and frankly speaking they rock! Give comparable results to the subperb FA31 without AF and slower of course.

02-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think there is another trend affecting the market place, other than running out of stock.

I suspect that with Ricoh's issue of a lensmap, and new lenses in design and mockup, with the new K01, that folks are looking around and concluding that Pentax is in it for the Long Haul. They are buying up old lenses as they buy new Pentax cameras or anticipating that camera buying day by buying lenses.

The marketplace is never one hypothetical c ustomer, its usually better modeled by considering a variety of segments. Look at the threads/posts that criticize the K01 because it might not appeal to a certain hypothetical type of customer, as if that was the only customer out there. the international market is diverse not only by skills, but by culture and by any number of other factors.

Go Pentax!
02-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Some good old Pentax manual lenses cost more due to rarity, or at least perceived by the market. Also, there are rich Asian collectors who are willing to pay more. But the truth is, old lenses just built much better than any Pentax lenses you can buy today with far less optical misalignment and absolutely no BF/FF. Boy do I hate optical misalignment? They are also great to use. The feel of turning those smooth focus rings is so stimulating. And if you want doing video, the smooth action of MF lenses is much preferred anytime.
02-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Of course, there is a lot of 'buy it now' crap on EBAY for insane asking prices that isn't selling so make sure you look for actual sales and not
just someone listing something there for silly prices. It isn't too hard to find some Asian asking prices on buyitnows on new product and well above the prices of US dealers.

that said it appears to me that prices have managed to firm up after Christmas. I sold a whole set of Pentax A lenses before Christmas between here and ebay and was frankly underwhelmed at the response, but the recent announcementss from Pentax suggesting they are still in business appears to have firmed things somewhat.

Seems like there have beenquite a few new members joining the forum recently that have dug daddy's (or mommy's) old Pentax out of the Closet from 30 years ago, and are reviving it with a new body, and I have an idea that the affordability of the K-01 will accelerate that trend as they tend to be younger folks who have used a cheap P & S camera and are used to 'no viewfinder' and will like the price/ Notwithstanding all the moaning around here about 'no viewfinder'. I sort of think the K-01 is a winner.

My take is that the cheap point and shoots are toast as the market regime changes, and all the lowend will be a cell phone
and the next step up will be something like the K-01 or in that price range.... ---- that it is the next 'k1000' that sold well for 20 years
while being criticized all the time.

what seems more difficult is the high end market for the exotics.... there are 300 and 400's hanging around the market (conflict declaration--including a 300 of mine) while 600's are no shows on the market...

02-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think there is another trend affecting the market place, other than running out of stock.

I suspect that with Ricoh's issue of a lensmap, and new lenses in design and mockup, with the new K01, that folks are looking around and concluding that Pentax is in it for the Long Haul. They are buying up old lenses as they buy new Pentax cameras or anticipating that camera buying day by buying lenses.

The marketplace is never one hypothetical c ustomer, its usually better modeled by considering a variety of segments. Look at the threads/posts that criticize the K01 because it might not appeal to a certain hypothetical type of customer, as if that was the only customer out there. the international market is diverse not only by skills, but by culture and by any number of other factors.

Go Pentax!
It's not just Pentax owners that are snapping up all the old lenses...folks with Sony NEX's, Panasonic m4/3s, and others. They've figured out they can use the great, relatively cheap old glass by simply fitting an adapter.
02-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sold 3 Takumars recently for more than my asking price. 2 went to a Sony shooter and the third now lives on a Canon (the owner of which had several Takumars including a 35mm f/2 and a 28mm). With the proliferation of bodies that can mount K and M42 glass there is quite a broad market for the lenses, which drives up prices. Some of the mirrorless cameras don't have very many lenses available in there native mount, giving even more incentive to look for high quality older manual glass.
02-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Could somebody see the logic in it?
You can sell all kinds of junk to Pentax users.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
They've figured out they can use the great, relatively cheap old glass by simply fitting an adapter.
Yes, but in this case (85mm), you'd be able to buy faster, better, less expensive, readily available glass from Samyang.
02-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
Is there a logic in LBA?
So true.
02-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Of course, there is a lot of 'buy it now' crap on EBAY for insane asking prices that isn't selling so make sure you look for actual sales and not
just someone listing something there for silly prices. It isn't too hard to find some Asian asking prices on buyitnows on new product and well above the prices of US dealers.

that said it appears to me that prices have managed to firm up after Christmas. I sold a whole set of Pentax A lenses before Christmas between here and ebay and was frankly underwhelmed at the response, but the recent announcementss from Pentax suggesting they are still in business appears to have firmed things somewhat.
I have been watching the earlier Takumar m42 lenses on eBay. Late December to late January there were a lot of auctions passed in, with silly start prices. Since then there have been some sold for high prices, but with reasonably starting prices.

I have noticed a positive correlation with the stock markets, indicating that the second hand prices are related to the confidence/sentiment about the economy in general. This correlation was quite noticable through 2011.
02-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
It's not just Pentax owners that are snapping up all the old lenses...folks with Sony NEX's, Panasonic m4/3s, and others. They've figured out they can use the great, relatively cheap old glass by simply fitting an adapter.
Well that's exactly my point....at those prices that old glass is no longer cheap - so there so advantage to buy let's say K85 if for pretty similar price you can have FA77 (although i personally prefer K85 optically)
02-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well those were the auctions, they started with no reserve.....i usually don't care for buy it now items....
02-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think gaps in the Pentax prime line-up also drive prices up. If there were an affordable DA 28 mm or DA 135 mm prime options the prices of this F/FA lenses would be much lower. Besides that, some Pentax lenses have a legendary reputation and all the raving reviews don't help either...

Of course, there is a lot of 'buy it now' crap on EBAY for insane asking prices that isn't selling so make sure you look for actual sales and not just someone listing something there for silly prices.
My favorite 'buy it now' auction: The F 3.5-4.5 35-70 mm for 200 €/270 $ ...