Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Superceded siggy Full frame walk-about lenses?

Hi all.

I'm thinking of upgrading the DA 18-55 series 1 kit lens (supplied with my K10). I'd like to have a full-frame (in case pentax ever release one!) and have found two sigma's - 20-40mm 2.8 EX DG, and the 24-60 2.8 EX DG at fairly decent prices. Ignoring the various focal length issues, I'm wondering whether either of these discontinued lenses would be a clear step up in IQ from the DA kit? Certainly the constant 2.8 has some appeal for indoor/low light use, but i'm unsure whether the gain in IQ is there or if i should just save for current glass (in doing so I probably have to drop the FF idea unless i get the 24-70 siggy? not sure what else is out there for a general zoom).

Cheers.

02-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the older Sigma 24-70 which is definitely a step up from the kit lens. Flare resistance isn't as good with bright light sources in or near the frame and I lost quick shift focus override but the image quality is better and shooting at f/2.8 or 3.2 across the whole range in poor light is a major improvement. 24-70mm does work nicely for indoor portraits and events if I don't need to do group portraits in a tight space. I expect that the 20-40mm on 24-60mm are better than the kit lens in their common range as well but I don't have any direct experience with them.

To some extent which other lenses you are considering picking up could impact your decision. I no longer have the kit lens, but I do have several very good long zoom lenses and I am working on picking up an ultrawide lens for the times that 24mm isn't wide enough. If you want a direct replacement for the kit lens and have no intention of picking up something wider (or continuing to use the kit lens for 18 to 24mm) then the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 may be a better choice.

I still have several film cameras that can use the Sigma 24-70, which was another factor in my decision to buy it.
02-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Both lenses are in the lens database Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Legacy Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Note that the reviews are subjective.
02-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'll vouch for the quality of the full-frame Sigma 24-135mm F2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF as a big improvement over my DA-L 18-55.