Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another older macro that can perhaps be found is the Sigma 180/3,5. I'm personally extremely happy with it. Or pair a TC like AF1.7x with 100mm macro. With my 50mm DFA macro the TC works great.

02-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
I called Sigma about these lenses the other day. They told me they will not be coming out in the Pentax mount..."not enough demand".

He recommended emailing Sigma Japan to let them know I would want it in the Pentax mount. Maybe if enough of us request it, it can happen...
They used to make 105mm Macro for Pentax, but recently discontinued it and the new version of 105mm has no Pentax version.

So I assume they sold too few 105mm Pentax lenses.

The reason for this is that there are already 2 competitors for this lens - Pentax 100mm WR that everybody loves and Tamron 90mm which is pretty cheap and perhaps a little better than Sigma 105mm Macro was.

But if they made 150mm and 180mm macro for Pentax, those lenses would NOT have ANY competitors in Pentax mount. I bet they would have sold TONS of those lenses.

Someone needs to tell them that...
02-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to get a TC which passes the lens information through, I just acquired a manual one. I'll have to try it out once insect season starts. Mantid fly, on my porch ceiling, with flash...I hope to find another now that I have the K-5!

02-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You can capture such images (like the one of your butterfly) with a 1000mm macro. Heck, you can even do so with a manual Vivitar series 1 70-210

Or a FA100-300:

If you're interested in learning more about current macro lenses, I just published a comparison here on PentaxForums:

Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
"1000mm macro"? I don't get your point. Of course you can do that. I shot butterflies with a 30mm lens but that's not the point of my question.