Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
New Member
ageha's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 11
Macro Lenses

Are there any current and legacy 1:1 AF macro lenses about 200mm for Pentax?

02-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
neil's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 182
Yes, there is a great resource here at PF.

Look under FA Primes to start and then continue exploring, LOTS of info and reviews...

By the way, they are rare and will cost you a pretty penny.
02-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,417
I'll add that the 100mm macro lenses are really very good if you don't absolutely need 200mm.
02-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
New Member
ageha's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'll add that the 100mm macro lenses are really very good if you don't absolutely need 200mm.
I have no experience with ~100mm macro lenses, I only owned an A-mount 30mm lens and I have a FD 200mm lens. I like the reach of the 200mm for butterflies and insects.




The FD lens isn't too bad but I'm still interested in Pentax bodies.

02-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member
sam-joseph's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,086
Isn't there a Sigma 150mm f2.8, and a new 180mm f2.8 macro?

Regards
02-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
My preferred ~200mm macro option: bellows + 2 sets of cheap PK macro tubes + Eastman Projection Anastigmat 190/4.5 (US$12 shipped). Various 8in enlarger lenses work fine too.
02-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
New Member
ageha's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Isn't there a Sigma 150mm f2.8, and a new 180mm f2.8 macro?

Regards
I haven't seen the Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM for Pentax yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My preferred ~200mm macro option: bellows + 2 sets of cheap PK macro tubes + Eastman Projection Anastigmat 190/4.5 (US$12 shipped). Various 8in enlarger lenses work fine too.
Any examples?
02-22-2012, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Senior Member
neil's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 182
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Isn't there a Sigma 150mm f2.8, and a new 180mm f2.8 macro?

Regards
I called Sigma about these lenses the other day. They told me they will not be coming out in the Pentax mount..."not enough demand".

He recommended emailing Sigma Japan to let them know I would want it in the Pentax mount. Maybe if enough of us request it, it can happen...

02-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
New Member
ageha's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
I called Sigma about these lenses the other day. They told me they will not be coming out in the Pentax mount..."not enough demand".

He recommended emailing Sigma Japan to let them know I would want it in the Pentax mount. Maybe if enough of us request it, it can happen...
Thanks for the update mate. Bad news...
02-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by ageha Quote
Any examples?
I can't post any pictures now. I'm on the road for a few months and I didn't bring my photo-archive drive with me. But enlarger lenses are pretty popular for macro shooting because they're built for such close work, and they're often astoundingly cheap. Their disadvantage, compared to dedicated macro lenses, is that aperture control is totally manual. I can't afford hundreds or thousands of dollars for long auto-aperture lenses, so I put up with the inconvenience.
02-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
New Member
ageha's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I can't post any pictures now. I'm on the road for a few months and I didn't bring my photo-archive drive with me. But enlarger lenses are pretty popular for macro shooting because they're built for such close work, and they're often astoundingly cheap. Their disadvantage, compared to dedicated macro lenses, is that aperture control is totally manual. I can't afford hundreds or thousands of dollars for long auto-aperture lenses, so I put up with the inconvenience.
How portable is your setup on a trip?
02-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by ageha Quote
How portable is your setup on a trip?
No worse than using a macro lens. I haven't a 200mm macro to compare, but I *do* have a 90mm macro, and my M42 bellows + tubes + ~100mm enlarger lens (EL) setup is slightly bulkier but rather lighter. In fact on my current road trip I brought the M42 Bellowscope bellows + cheap tubes + various ELs at 75-90-105-140mm rather than the Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro.
02-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2007
Location: singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,072
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
No worse than using a macro lens. I haven't a 200mm macro to compare, but I *do* have a 90mm macro, and my M42 bellows + tubes + ~100mm enlarger lens (EL) setup is slightly bulkier but rather lighter. In fact on my current road trip I brought the M42 Bellowscope bellows + cheap tubes + various ELs at 75-90-105-140mm rather than the Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro.
Are you seeking more than 1 magnification with bellows and tubes?2:1 mag? Why do you need a 200 mm macro? It is for the working distance?

I am asking becos I own A200 macro plus voigtlander macro and many other shorter focal length macro and each serves its own purposes.

marcus
02-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
Are you seeking more than 1 magnification with bellows and tubes?2:1 mag? Why do you need a 200 mm macro? It is for the working distance?
A 180-200mm macro is only rationally used because of the working distance. Trying to go to or beyond 1:1 requires a LOT of extension. I've mentioned using a 400mm tele with 2x TC and tons of extension, mounted on a shoulder stock, for taking closeups of live rattlesnakes in the field from a safe distance, like 3-4m. For great magnification, use MUCH shorter glass, like 35-50mm enlarger lenses (ELs).

QuoteQuote:
I am asking becos I own A200 macro plus voigtlander macro and many other shorter focal length macro and each serves its own purposes.
And I have 28-40-50-90mm macro lenses, and they all have their own roles. I use a bellows with 75-90-105-140mm ELs for moderate magnification in the field.
02-24-2012, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,659
You can capture such images (like the one of your butterfly) with a 100mm macro. Heck, you can even do so with a manual Vivitar series 1 70-210





Or a FA100-300:



If you're interested in learning more about current macro lenses, I just published a comparison here on PentaxForums:

Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by bdery; 02-28-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lenses, macro, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: 3 lenses (one macro), 2 TCs imtheguy Sold Items 7 07-07-2010 08:10 AM
Macro lenses, hard choice HeG Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 35 06-08-2010 05:14 PM
Are all DA 35mm macro lenses the same? mtngal Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 04-25-2010 06:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top