Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #1

Pentax Auto 110 prime lens on ME Super

Hello, I have been bitten by the eBay bug, and I am willing to experiment on my newly acquired ME Super.

The idea
I thought to experiment on one 110 Auto as a prime lens, I found 2 lenses going for pretty cheap. I perfectly know how microscopic these are and I know that they would have a fixed aperture.

How to:
As for fitting it on the ME Super shouldn't be a big problem, just using a body cap trimmed on purpose, my main concern is the actual distance between the camera and the lens which I assume it would be totally different. I highly doubt I will be able to use this lens as a "über kompakt" lens for street photography, but I may be using it for Macro instead, if it is suitable.

Choice
Also, I found that the same seller has available 2 lenses, one is a 24mm f/2.8, the other is a 50mm f/2.8: which would be better to attempt in the case my project is feasable?

Is this feasible?
Is this feasible? In terms of focal length (if it's a matter of shifting out the lens I'm like McGyver for these things ) and of aperture (which worries me the most).
I'm asking in advance because having just a film camera it wouldn't be so immediate to try it out.
Also, because you guys are definitely more expert than me.

Thanks in advance!

02-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not really practical. If you want to use Auto 110 lenses on film, get an Auto 110 with them and good luck finding film. If you want to use the lenses on digital, pick up a mirrorless camera like the Sony NEX and an adapter from EBay.

If you really want to use the lens on your ME, remove the mirror and figure out how to mount the rear of the lens ~18.46mm into the body, then make everything light tight (including the viewfinder, which will no longer function). You will have to guess at focus based on the distance scale, which will probably be inside the camera body.

Macro use might work mounted to a body cap with your extension being roughly the difference between the K and Auto 110 flange focal distances.
02-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Steinback!
Hence sinking inside the body isn't that smart me thinks. I didn't consider this.
Still, interesting for macro, I'll research better. How about the aperture issue instead?
02-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The digital mirrorless shooters have the same aperture problem (NEX, 4/3, Pentax Q). I have seen several different home built solutions using interchangeable aperture disks mounted close to the rear element of the lens, and one proposed using an adjustable aperture unit from an industrial optical supplier. One of the discussions was on this forum (3rd party section maybe?), the others will probably come up if you search online for threads about using Auto 110 lenses on different mirrorless systems. I only paid attention because I have an 18mm f/2.8 waiting for either a cheap mirrorless body or a buyer.

02-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
OK, it seems that this project has to be ditched, then. I just read the last comment of the review on my camera and octavmandru actually suggests a better idea, M42 Industar 50mm f/3.5 pancake, I'd guess for portability would be pretty much ok
02-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I won an A110 w/ 24mm lens, cheap, just so I could try something like this. No go. As Steinback said, the lens must stick deep into the camera body, with the mirror removed or locked-up. I've set a C-mount lens into a PK body cap for macro use, but the A110 register is just too short.

Of the alternatives you mentioned, IMHO a 24/2.8 is excellent for general and street shooting. The Industar-50 is indeed tiny, a narrow pancake, and a bit small for my fingers to focus easily for street shooting. Where the Industar shines is on a set of cheap M42 macro tubes. It is a favorite for macro shooting.
02-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks RioRico, I will then save my money for an Industar. Macro is something I want to try, it's really fascinating.
I now live in Lithuania and in many of the flea markets people sell goods from the former Soviet Union. Last Saturday I found a Lomo Lubitel 166 (written in Cyrillic font, nonetheless) which was brand new, there was a Zenit (not sure) SLR and another DLR camera. I am pretty sure that if I start browsing those markets I will find a cheap Industar or some other interesting lens. (シ)