Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

When will the benefit of FF kick in?

I pretty much just view my photos on the monitor. Seldom print them. And if I do it is an 8 x 10 or smaller.

If I'm shooting with a K-X @ 12mp. and I wanted to move up to a FF 18-24mp. Would I see much of a difference on my monitor? Or is the big improvement with FF with the big prints?

It would be nice if someone had acess to a FF to compare shots to to the APS-C.

Thanks.

02-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF is just part of the equation (because if you take the first Canon FF ever made and the Pentax K-5, obviously the K-5 will own). The main reason you'd want to get an FF, apart from being able to take advantage of FF lenses is to enjoy less noise, a clearer image, and better shooting performance.

If all you work with is web-sized photos, then you won't see much of a difference, but yes, prints from a modern high-end FF would be clearer than those from an APS-C camera. If you're just looking to upgrade your resolution, then I would wait until September when the 24Mp successor the K-5 is announced

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Either way... You should get some prints done anyway... It's very satisfying...
02-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my opinion, the advantage of full frame would be the full-sized viewfinder and usage of full-frame compatible lenses at the field of view that they were designed for.

02-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

As I repeat ad nauseum...

Absolutely no difference between APS-c and Full frame with the same FoV on any monitor less than 2500 pixels wide. If your monitor is less than 2200 pixels wide then your K-x is as good as an FF camera.

Probably no difference in prints until you go over at least 30 inches wide.

There is possibly a difference in noise at low light levels... up to 800 ISO, there's no difference.

The differences between FF and APS-c are negligible at 1:1 pixel peeping... buy the time you've reduced the image to half size, there's no difference at all.

Last edited by normhead; 02-22-2012 at 02:45 PM.
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I've never thought of the main benefit of having a FF sensor would be a "better" on-screen image. The reasons I might be interested in a FF body would be a) bigger sensor = bigger pixels = lower noise & better low-light performance (hopefully) and b) an even greater ability to achieve shallow depth of field at larger apertures, when that effect is desired (since the ability to get a very shallow depth of field is a product of the larger sensor size).
02-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The benefit of FF is that the makers put a lot of money into making sure the body is excellent, and the huge body makes room for lots of controls and a nice big, bright OVF. You'll only really notice a difference when you're shooting with it, not when you're looking at the pictures, though new FF have set themselves ahead of APS-C again, no doubt the next generation of APS-C will get very close.