Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm afraid I went for the Sigma 28-80 in the end as I was on a budget and also figured it would be a good walkabout lens. We went to Hamilton island over the weekend and used it quite a lot, I'm very pleased with the contrast it produces my macro shots seem pretty sharp. I would like to get in closer though so thinking about getting some extension tubes, can anyone recommend a set - maybe a cheap Chinese one like above as I'm on a budget? cheers

03-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm afraid I went for the Sigma 28-80 in the end as I was on a budget and also figured it would be a good walkabout lens. We went to Hamilton island over the weekend and used it quite a lot, I'm very pleased with the contrast it produces my macro shots seem pretty sharp. I would like to get in closer though so thinking about getting some extension tubes, can anyone recommend a set - maybe a cheap Chinese one like above as I'm on a budget? cheers
If that lens is the same one I think it is, its not a bad lens at all for a general purpose cheap budget zoom. Mine is the 28--90mm quantaray version but its very similar. I usually just look for a seller with a bit higher feedback on the cheap Chinese stuff. I figure if they are selling junk, its going to hurt their feedback some. You can typically find ones with 99.6-99.7 feedback easy enough (nearly all have some bad feedback due to long shipping times and lost mail form china). If anyone does have any recommendations about a Chinese set that are above average, I would like to know about it too as I lost one of the ends to my set and will be buying another soon. Otherwise I'll probably pick a random seller with good feedback. I might try these
Macro Extension Tube Ring for Pentax K Mount Series | eBay
as I have bought several m42-pk adapters (non infinity type) from them and they have been fine

Be aware that you will get full manual only with these. If you want A function, I have heard of several people removing the glass from cheap off brand used A teleconverters off ebay. I don't think there are any cheap auto focus options (that I am aware of). I might also look for a used set on ebay too.
03-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Be aware that you will get full manual only with these. If you want A function, I have heard of several people removing the glass from cheap off brand used A teleconverters off ebay. I don't think there are any cheap auto focus options (that I am aware of).
I've removed the glass from a couple of A-type TCs, and found they work fine with A-series lenses (no surprise), DA* lenses, and of course plain K or M lenses. But with DA lenses (other than DA* lenses), including my Sigma lens, the aperture data is not transmitted correctly. Note that this is from a small sampling of lenses and tubes -- just the ones I own.
07-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Yes, the Sigma will do 1:2, but I find it's not sharp enough for good closeups. I have the Pentax M 100mm f4 Macro prime, which also only does 1:2, but it is very sharp and I can crop the image to what I want and not lose the sharpness. I can also get 1:1 by adding tubes. But I've found 1:2 really gives me all I need for flowers, butterflys, etc.
I am looking into getting m100 f4. Does fit with out any adptors to pentax k-30? K mount, right?

07-23-2014, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No adapters needed to fit a K-30. It is K-mount. Having told you that, I should also tell you that lenses in the m version need to allow aperture use inside the camera, under C menu, 4th page, number 23, second option, enabled.
07-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
No adapters needed to fit a K-30. It is K-mount. Having told you that, I should also tell you that lenses in the m version need to allow aperture use inside the camera, under C menu, 4th page, number 23, second option, enabled.
Thank you very much for the reply. Is it easy to manual focus on k30? i found this lens fot 189 euro. Do you think it's a good price?
07-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It's actually pretty easy to manual focus, as the camera itself will beep when the focus is attained. Or you can use Catch in Focus where when the subject is in focus the camera will take the shot. This only works for manual lenses though. For metering manual lenses, you need to use the Green Button. For instructions on the metering M lenses, and the green button, have a read here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

Forgot to answer you question on the price of the one you found. It sounds good for what you're paying. Pentax Forums lenses data base, gives you an idea of what lenses should cost:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-100mm-F4-Macro-Lens.html

Read the reviews and they should give you an idea whether it's worth buying or not.

Last edited by photolady95; 07-23-2014 at 08:49 AM.
07-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #23

It's actually pretty easy to manual focus, as the camera itself will beep when the focus is attained. Or you can use Catch in Focus where when the subject is in focus the camera will take the shot. This only works for manual lenses though. For metering manual lenses, you need to use the Green Button. For instructions on the metering M lenses, and the green button, have a read here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

Forgot to answer you question on the price of the one you found. It sounds good for what you're paying. Pentax Forums lenses data base, gives you an idea of what lenses should cost:

SMC Pentax-M 100mm F4 Macro Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Read the reviews and they should give you an idea whether it's worth buying or not.
Thank you very much. Very useful. I'll try today to use the green button with an old vivitar I've got. Can't wait!
07-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome! And have fun!
08-04-2014, 03:27 AM   #25

You're welcome! And have fun!
I am waiting to find the right bargin to buy Macro M 100 f4 and we are nearly there! Now I am reading a lot about macro, can you explain what 1:1 stands for? I've been reading it's the scale but... if I take a picture of a fly for example... what does a 1:1 make me expect? The dimention of the Fly on the sensor at some resolution and distance? I know i sound ignorant... must be because I am a bit! !!! Always learning!
08-04-2014, 05:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1:1 would mean the fly is reproduced life size on the sensor. The aps-c sensors are round about 24mm by 16mm, so a big 20mm horsefly would just about fill the frame up at 1:1.
1:2 would mean the fly is reproduced at half size on the sensor, so our big 20mm horse fly ends up 10mm on the sensor and fills a little under half the frame (lengthwise).

To visualize these, cut out a little 24mm x 16mm rectangle out of a piece of paper, write 1:1 above it. Cut out another 48mm x 32mm rectangle, write 1:2 above it. Hold these pieces of paper up to stuff and you can get an idea of what fits into the frame at these magnifications.

For a given macro lens, magnification is tied to the distance from the subject. For example, the DFA 100mm macro will show 1:3 magnification at about 0.5m, 1:2 magnification at about 0.37m and 1:1 magnification at 0.3m. Dedicated macros have both a distance scale and a magnification scale on the barrel. This lets you set the desired magnification you want by turning the focusing ring and then you can focus by moving the camera forward or backwards until the subject is sharp.

The distances required to get a given magnification depend on the focal length of the lens and a little bit on it's specific design. A 50mm macro will need to be closer than a 100mm macro at a given desired magnification. This is especially important for living stuff that may flee, and a longer focal length can help here.

Many of the older dedicated macros are 'only' 1:2, and many of the modern zoom lenses that are given the 'macro' designation by their manufacturers are 1:4 or 1:3 max. Most modern dedicated macros can hit 1:1.
08-04-2014, 05:11 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
1:1 would mean the fly is reproduced life size on the sensor. The aps-c sensors are round about 24mm by 16mm, so a big 20mm horsefly would just about fill the frame up at 1:1. 1:2 would mean the fly is reproduced at half size on the sensor, so our big 20mm horse fly ends up 10mm on the sensor and fills a little under half the frame (lengthwise).
OWWWW!!! Mistery solved!!! 1:2 sounds good enough for me! I'll go for the m 100 f4 lens and be done! I'll post some pics when I get it!
08-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #28

I got it yesterday!!! SOOO excited! My lovely Pentax m 100 f4. Now... as There is no A setting in the ring, how can I use the exposimetre?

Thank you!!!!
08-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Siskan Quote
Now... as There is no A setting in the ring, how can I use the exposimetre?
08-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Siskan Quote
I got it yesterday!!! SOOO excited! My lovely Pentax m 100 f4. Now... as There is no A setting in the ring, how can I use the exposimetre?

Thank you!!!!
Do you have LBA? You show the classic symptoms , Want a lens , ask opinions about options, buy the lens, ask how the lens can be used after receiving it. Just kidding. Enjoy the lens