Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Weather Sealed Lens and body capabilities

I'll soon be getting DA*50-135 and was wondering its weather sealing capabilities.
I'll be using that on my K20D, and was wondering just how much rain it can take.

I mean, I know it's weather sealed for extra protection, but just how much rain can it withstand?

02-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No-one knows for sure, but people have used these lenses in some pretty extreme circumstances. Search the forums and you might find examples.

The question is really how much rain do you want to shoot in? After a while you're not likely to get very good shots, no matter what the kit.

I've used non-sealed lenses directly under Niagara Falls. So long as you are careful there's no reason not to get any shot you might realistically want to get.
02-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will repeat the advise I have given others. Consider the WR as insurance. If you get caught out shield the camera as much as possible, and if you intend to get wet use a camera bag or other protection. Rely on WR if your primary protection fails. Although there are people who will swear by the WR, there are others who have posted that the camera fogged up when they got home after a full day in the rain, to one idiot(I'm sorry but that is the only way to describe him) who complained that his K7 failed after being washed in the sink for the 50'th time.
02-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I used my k200D and a WR kit lens at mt. Rainer in rain and snow. In the middle of the drip I looked down into my camera bag, and there was a couple centimeters of water in there. There were no problems at all.

I would not worry too much about shooting in the rain.

02-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I never had a WR lens until now, so I was just curious.
I kept hearing stories of how you could pour a bottle of water on the camera and lens and scare people.
It rarely rains here in Las Vegas, so it's a bit tough to test it out, you know. Just wanted to know of its capabilities and resistance to rain.
02-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Just as important as the resistance to rain is the extra resistance to dust, perhaps even more so where you live. You will be very happy with the *50-135mm it is a great lens!
02-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I just took mine through several thunderstorms in Florida and it keep on going without missing a beat. Just remember that you CANT open any of the flaps, compartments, covers while its either in the rain or wet. You also can't change the lens under those conditions (duh?). Still, with the 18-135 on it I was pretty well covered. Enjoy.

02-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's sealed enough that you could take a shower with it and nothing would happen

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

DA* lenses will shoot all day long in the rain no problem
02-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
you could take a shower with it
But why would you be in the .................... oh never mind, each to his own
But good question from the OP - I'm picking IP 51 or similar?
http://blog.amlabels.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/IP-Rating_Graph.jpg
02-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so, no putting the camera and the lens in the washing machine?
02-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Consider WR to be what it says, resistant. Given adequate time and/or great enough pressure and the seals will fail. Sort of like a water resistant watch.

Steve

(Be aware that pressure comes in many forms...)
02-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Consider WR to be what it says, resistant. Given adequate time and/or great enough pressure and the seals will fail. Sort of like a water resistant watch.

Steve

(Be aware that pressure comes in many forms...)
But didn't the timed in the commercials keep on tick'n
02-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
so, no putting the camera and the lens in the washing machine?
Honestly, it's your camera, you can do what you want, you already have my advise though
02-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah...that washing machine part was a joke...