Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #1

Clarification on Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX DC OS

Hi all.

I have decided to purchase two lens for this year and will probably settle on these for the foreseeable future as they cover just about everything I will need. My choices being Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS and the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM

I went to place an order for the 17-50 with my prefered supplier last night to find they had no stock, so I fired of an email to see when they thought they might have said item in stock.

I got a reply telling me they were endeavouring to obtain a supply but weren't sure when it would be and would contact me when they arrived. Ten minutes later I get another email stating

QuoteQuote:
Hi xxxx,

Since Pentax have in built OS the Pentax mount doesn’t offer OS.

CRK currently have stock available, which would take approx. 3-5days for stock to arrive.

Our price is $xxxxxx

Should you wish to place an order please call us on xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kind Regards,
Which from my reading is at complete odds with this statement in the 17-50 review on this site

QuoteQuote:
As we've already mentioned, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS lens uses an in-lens Optical Stabilization system. On Pentax bodies, this system can be used in place of the in-body Shake Reduction system, but it is not recommended to use the two systems at the same time.
The review plainly shows the lens comes with OS in the Pentax mount. I guess the sales person is a bit confused but I thought I would check here before I call them tomorrow.

02-24-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
there's also now a newer version of the pentax and sony mount copy of that lens that does not include OS
02-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The original Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM for Pentax mount, which I have, has OS, but back in December 2011, Sigma then announced the non-OS version for Sony and Pentax mount, replacing the OS version. Hence any with the OS would be older stock.

More info here: Sigma to launch non-stabilized 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM for Sony and Pentax: Digital Photography Review

Also, check the Sigma.jp product page:

QuoteQuote:
[17-50mm F2.8 DC MACRO OS HSM]
SIGMA, CANON, NIKON(D)

[17-50mm F2.8 DC MACRO HSM]
SONY(D), PENTAX
02-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get superb IQ with the non-VC Tamron equivalent (17-15 f2.8) without paying for the OS, since the SR is very effective at this range. It will be smaller and lighter, although not as quiet and may not focus as quickly. However, I haven't noticed focus speed as a particular issue.

Here's an example of how sharp it is:

02-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies and I will apologise to the sales person for doubting them, it looks like I did no where near enough research when I first looked into this lens.
02-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Actually, DoubleD, I think you did all the research that could be expected from a consumer point of view - Sigma is just being confusing with these different versions!

Also, I really hope the non-OS version of the lens is $100 cheaper now (but somehow I doubt it)....
02-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Actually, DoubleD, I think you did all the research that could be expected from a consumer point of view - Sigma is just being confusing with these different versions!

Also, I really hope the non-OS version of the lens is $100 cheaper now (but somehow I doubt it)....
It isn't.

All the details of the lens are on Sigma's official site.
02-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's unfortunate that they decided to keep the 'OS' in the lens name, as it surely will cause confusion. In any case, the in-lens stabilization system is indeed redundant, so it's good they took it out, but they may as well have lowered the price while they were at it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
still I think pentax 16-50 would be the ideal one only if they make an upgrade version
02-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish Pentax would update the 16-50. I hope that the lens on the road map for 2013 is indeed an improved version of this. Pentax needs to improve SDM (speed and reliability).
02-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
It isn't.

All the details of the lens are on Sigma's official site.
Correction ... I've just seen a US$75 cash back offer on the official Sigma site !
02-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's unfortunate that they decided to keep the 'OS' in the lens name, as it surely will cause confusion.
They haven't. The "OS" isn't in the lens name for the newer version:

17-50mm F2.8 DC MACRO OS HSM - older one, available in Sigma, Canon and Nikon mount. Used to be available in Pentax and Sony mount.
17-50mm F2.8 DC MACRO HSM - newer one, available in Sony and Pentax mount.

Whether retailers pick up on that and update their product pages accordingly though, is another matter...
I.e. I've seen plenty of websites selling a "Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM" for Pentax, which doesn't even exist...