Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are unlucky.
I used to live in a good apartment.
There was a package in front of my neighbor for 1 week.
No one would steal it and no one ever take it.

02-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
You are unlucky.
I used to live in a good apartment.
There was a package in front of my neighbor for 1 week.
No one would steal it and no one ever take it.
That's not a good neighbor. A good neighbor knowing you were away would take it, put it in their foyer and slip a note under the door of your apartment to let you know they had it. It's bad news leaving mail and such untouched like that when someone is away. It's an invitation to break ins even in an apt scenario. A lot of our neighbors spend half the year here, half away. If they forget to stop their paper we pick them up and recycle them. Give any left over mail to the office so they can ship it on.

I live in a pretty good place. The neighbors are cool. It's a real community and we have a watch system, and but still this isn't a crime free zone. Last year someone went away for the summer? Some guy in a moving van pulled in, told the guy at the gate that he was there to move some stuff for them, and they let the guy in without even checking with the residents. He broke in and cleaned out their entire place. Now you have to call the gate if you are expecting someone before and put them on a list, but that's what it took to get that level of security around here.

Around us, outside our gate? This town has gone to hell in a hand basket the past 5 years or so. It's generally safe inside them, but I still don't go around walking after dark like I used to when I was a kid. I trust my neighbors only so far and if I know that I am expecting something? I'm tracking it and home to get it when it's due or I make arrangements for it to go to my parents place where I know someone will always be there. One of my biggest pet peeves lately is Amazon using Lasership instead of UPS or FedExp. I don't like the latter two, but I detest Lasership. They never ask you to sign for anything and they just dump whatever it is that they're delivering, never buzz, and it's always late at night so you never know when they'll show up besides. It's totally crazy the way they do their business.

But no, if I lived in an apt now I wouldn't trust my neighbors at all. I'd have a PO box. That's just it. Genuinely good neighbors are few and far between these days. It's nice having some, but generally I don't count on having any, at least when it comes to getting packages. I can't even go to the grocery store around here without having to worry about getting car jacked and I supposedly live in the good part of town. Trust a $500 lens to sit there? Uh no. I'd probably have better chances of winning the lotto than on actually finding it there when I got home...
02-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

If UPS, or any courier service, left a package on my doorstep I'd play hell with them ! And I do live in a rural area where things left would probably be safe, but the point is, someone pays for a secure delivery ( I know the OP waived that ) and that's what I want. If they leave a card and say they tried to deliver, make some arrangements, that's fine. At least some scum bag hasn't got the chance to steal it from my doorstep.
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
...I think it all depends on the driver you happen to have.
+1
I was going to say the same.

02-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
A FedEx driver trashed my carport and drove away without notice. I've had both FedEx and UPS packages not reach me.
I am not talking about aberrations in delivery, which can happen with anyone. I am talking about bad policies. There is a difference.
03-13-2012, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An update. Adorama has reimbursed me for the stolen lens.
Definitely top notch customer service! They got my full respect and my future business.
03-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Definitely top notch customer service! They got my full respect and my future business.
Wow! Gotta love service like that!

03-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Kudos to Adorama for this, that's exceptional customer service.
03-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
A great result, hats off to Adorama.
03-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #25

Maybe not stolen - just lost?

A few years ago, I bought an astronomical telescope from a well-known New York retailer. the telescope and mount were shipped in two large boxes by UPS with signature required for delivery. When they didn't show up, I checked tracking to see that it was reported as delivered and signed for! A couple of days later, I noticed two large boxes by a neighbor's front door - a seasonal visitor who was absent. Yep - it was my telescope - abandoned by UPS without signature at the wrong house!

Mike
03-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Great news- very nice to hear that Adorama made it right!
03-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
Yep - it was my telescope - abandoned by UPS without signature at the wrong house!
The first time that happened to me was 33 years ago, when UPS left computer hardware (with inflation, now costing over US$12k) next door. Luckily, the lighthouse keeper's widow had no use for the gear. The most recent occasion was under 4 years ago in a different county, when my new K20D plus several lenses, flash etc was left down the road. Luckily, that scumbag was in the drunk tank and didn't know of his luck. Whew.

Other similar incidents happened in between those times, delivered elsewhere, all with no signatures. Other times, sensitive stuff has been left on an exposed back porch rather than the sheltered front porch, despite explicit directions. I've written to UPS, congratulating them on their humane program for hiring the mentally handicapped, but asking that they be moved from operations to marketing, where nobody will notice.
03-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #28
Banned

Adorama has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with. when my zeiss lens had to be sent back to zeiss, adorama did all the leg work to contact zeiss directly and got zeiss on the phone quickly. they even paid for the shipping themselves from my house to zeiss. above and beyond what was necessary. they are the first place I go to for anything photo related even if they aren't always the cheapest. you can't replace quality service, at any cost savings.