Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MC ( Multi Coat) and its benefits?

Hello. I was just wondering about MC and its benefits on the lens.
I assumed that MC helps to resist flare and bunch, but never sought out for clarifications on that.

Another question is if an existing lens without MC treatment were to have multicoated uv filter on it, would it act as if the lens has a mc treatment?
or is that just wishful thinking?

02-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
Another question is if an existing lens without MC treatment were to have multicoated uv filter on it, would it act as if the lens has a mc treatment?
Wishful thinking.
02-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Lenses are either uncoated, single coated or multi coated. Glass reflects light. Not only will some of the light not enter the lens as it is reflected away, but every glass surface inside the lens will reflect light that will go bouncing around inside the lens. The inside of the lens is generally painted matte black to try and absorb as much as possible of this stray light. A single coated lens is the proper thickness to eliminate reflection of one wavelength of light only (one color of light only). If I understand right, the further you get from that wavelength, the more that color is reflected. They would therefor typically use a single coat tuned in the middle of the visible spectrum of light to get the most benefit. Light near the middle of the color range would get reflected the least and colors near the ends of the spectrum would get reflected the most. Multi coating uses different thickness coating that are tuned to different wavelengths, decreasing the amount of light reflected more.

If you use a multi coat filter on a lens, it may stop some reflection on the front of the lens, letting a little more light into the lens, but once in the lens (or even off the uncoated front element), the light will still get reflected off every glass element it hits.

I would imagine that the cost of disassembling a lens, cleaning and preparing the glass, and doing a custom coat job would cost much more than a new lens, if there is even any one that would do that on a single lens basis.

Edit: Seems I was wrong. You can get lenses coated. I found one reference of someone getting the glass coated in a Rolleiflex 3.5F coated which seems to have 5 or 6 small elements x 2. They stated 350$ for that. That was only for duplicating original coating on that camera though. Another mentioned 50 pounds per surface (GBP I assume?) so maybe 80$ US per surface?

A simple prime lens might have 6-10 elements (maybe more), a vivitar series 1 70-210mm has 14-15 elements (just a guess at what the average zoom has).

Figure 500$ to over 1000$ plus cost of shipping both ways to another country?

You might be able to find something cheaper, but regardless, it is obviously only economical for very expensive lenses. I think it is generally intended as an option for repair of very expensive lenses (where you might not have to do all surfaces I guess).

Last edited by ripit; 02-24-2012 at 04:36 PM.
02-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

All modern lenses have MC just about, but if it's an old lens (i.e. a Takumar), it might just have a single coating or no coating at all. Newer coatings are also more effective than older ones, it seems.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The reason why I'm asking is because I have Helios 44-2 58mm.
The thing is not coated, so when shooting towards the light source, even a little bit, reflections take over a large part of the image. Was wondering if there is any way to remedy this problem a bit.

Example: one of the worst case of flare I've experienced.

The later versions of this have MC, but loses 2 blades (older has 8 blades, newer ones have 6) in the process and the bokeh looks different and more tamed, which I don't like as much.
02-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The main benefit of coatings is in increasing light transmission. A filter won't do any good with that. Coatings were discovered in the 30s independently in Germany and USA - read the article on wikipedia for some very interesting information. Coatings that protect against flare or ghosting were developed later - filters don't help with that either - the best they can do is to avoid introducing flare and ghosting themselves.

From a photographic perspective, however, uncoated or single coated lenses can have different rendering characteristics and might be desirable because of that. Helios 44 lenses, for example, have gained sharpness as they gained multicoatings, but their bokeh is allegedly different.
02-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Adding a filter adds a new gas layer and a new glass layer, neither of which were taken into account by the lens designer. This provides more surfaces for spurious reflections, scratches, dust, etc. and more possibilities of degradation.

I never use filters for "protection". Use a lens hood instead.

If you have a lens without MC that is subject to flare, shoot in situations that avoid this problem. Or get a longer hood. Or use your hand for shade. As a photographer, you can outwit your gear. ;-)
02-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The thing is not coated, so when shooting towards the light source, even a little bit, reflections take over a large part of the image. Was wondering if there is any way to remedy this problem a bit.
Yes, follow religiously Rule #1 of using Russian lenses: Don't shoot into the light! Keep the sun in the back!

I started photography with a Russian rangefinder and I still position myself with the back to the sun when I'm about to photograph something - I don't even think about it.

02-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The later versions of this have MC, but loses 2 blades (older has 8 blades, newer ones have 6) in the process and the bokeh looks different and more tamed, which I don't like as much.
I have the same lens, but probably a newer, multi-coated version. It doesn't flare that bad even shooting right into the sun:

IMGP2460 - Version 2 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr
02-24-2012, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

BTW, here's an interesting video showing some pretty simple lenses being made. From 1:55 and on you can see their coating process.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 02-24-2012 at 07:33 PM.
02-25-2012, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #11

Тhere are coatings and coatings, try the M 50 1.7 against the sun there is no GDR glass that can match!
02-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have FA-A-M 50mm f1.4-f1.7-f2.
A50mm1.7 being my fav.
02-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I have the same lens, but probably a newer, multi-coated version. It doesn't flare that bad even shooting right into the sun:
Ahhh! Multicoated windows!
02-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The solution is called lens hood, and avoid shooting into the sun. Look for a 49mm diameter, and get the longest one you can get (for telephoto, doesn't matter, the longer the better).