Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I second/third/fourth the recommendation for the DA 55-300. The Vivitar Series 1 70-210 v1 has been mentioned. Version 1 through 3 are all considered very good indeed. I really like my version 3, which has the advantage of having the A setting for in-body aperture control.

03-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just thought I'd give a quick update. The F 70-210 I bought sadly got damaged during shipping, found another on ebay but missed out on the bid. Was tempted to wait around for another, but instead just played it safe and went for a brand new 50-200 wr.

Couldn't bring myself to spend an extra 100+ on a 55-300 either, especially since it's just a hobby.

New lens arrived today, loving the quick shift, and the feel is way better than the kit lens, hopefully the weather is good this weekend to try this baby out!
03-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Woj Quote
Thanks again for the advice folks. I've found a F 70-210 f4-5.6 which I went for. Should be here in the next week, so i'll see how it goes.

It was the pictures/reviews from SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database that got me really liking it, and if doesn't work out I'll just sell it on and probably get a 50-200.
I think you'll find the AF a bit better than the ratings given above ... it is fast ! I've got this lens (but never use it as I have other options and use primes more often that not now) and I've got to say that not only is it sharp but the AF is fast as I said.

You can see some testing I did on that lens amongst others here : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/139941-lenses-...-x1-4-etc.html