Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #1

Macro Quandry

I presently own a K5, KR, and DAL 18-55, and DA 50-300. Primary use is nature shots, birds, mammals, and landscape. Most of my activity is done by bicycle, kayak and in winter snowshoes. Compact & light are important.
I do want to do some close up / macro and see that there are many, many options. ALSO I do eventually want to obtain a small prime lens & have been looking at 40mm pancake ( would be great on the KR) or the DA 35mm macro ( how is this one for landscape IQ compared to 40mm.? ) But now I see there are screw on lens extensions that can go over the end of a lens. Could the 55-300 be adapted. Would be an easy operation in the kayak. Beat taking a lens off. Or am I loosing lots of IQ.
Question on the 35mm macro. Have noted that it is regarded weel as a macro ( very close) would it focus well at 15 inches or so, say off the side of the kayak??
Then there is is question of extension tubes.
Would they be easily fitted to the 55-300 ? Most of the time I only have the K5 & 55-300 with me plus a Panasonic TS3 (underwater).
I am also considering the DA 35mm 2.4, seems to be great optics and great price. Would be great on landscape issue. but I do not think much help for macro.
Lots of questions but if anyone can help clarify would be very appreciated.

Best Regards
john

02-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Macro filters are a great way to go, they screw on to the end of your lens just like any other type of filter and work great. Buy for your largest size lens and get stepping rings for the smaller ones, that way you only need one set. Don't buy cheap filters of any kind only the best, As for the 40mm Ltd, I recently got one and it is great fun, fantastic image quality. On the K5 it is an all round lens good for many situations including landscape and low light.
02-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The Raynox DCR 150 would be a good close-up attachment choice for your 55-300. It comes with a Clip-on adapter that allows rapid attachment to your lens, even in a bouncing kayak.

The adapter attaches much like a lens cap where you squeeze the sides & snap it on the end of the lens. It fits filter sizes 52-67 - the DA 55-300lens has a 58mm filter size.

The optical results are excellent and you'll have magnifications over 1:1 available. It is easy to carry, quick to mount, and all your automatic lens functions continue to work including flash.

While other achromatic close-up lenses around 200mm or +5 diopters would work as well optically, the Raynox' clip-on adapter would be an advantage in your situation.

Last edited by newarts; 02-25-2012 at 09:02 AM.
02-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the definitive article on Macro on the cheap.

02-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone. Have just ordered the Raynox 150.

Regards
john
02-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well a bit late for me to chime in, but macro on the cheap is something less than perfect. I fought the issue for many years using a variety of Soligor Zoom macros. Finally 15 yrs ago I gave up the $$ and bought a proper Pentax 100 macro. Last year when I upgraded to a K-5, I also upgraded to the DFA 100 WR. Wow, talk about a great combo. Because my work is something like yours in a wet kayak (photographing plants in rainy jungles, but yet need landscape) I just added this week, a DFA 50 macro. Now were on fire. This is a great, great lens and something which fills the macro and landscape functions, albeit not as wide or fast as the DA 40mm. So, when the bucks come your way or you get hooked on super sharp, 1:1 macro photos, you'll seek one or both of these superb lenses. Good luck with your new eq.
02-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks John
I had been thinking that the Raynox 150 would be a good fast attachment to the 55-300 ( & easy in the kayak ). But would also consider a real macro for everything else. Just not sure what to get. The DFA 50 may fit the need. Sure are lots of choices. ( the wr of the 100 is appealing ). Was considering the 35mm macro ( Pentax), but think it is so close a focus would have problem leaning over the side of the kayak.
Thanks for your time
Regards
john
02-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The 35mm is surely great for the landscape aspect, but that much more difficult on the up close and personal. I'm liking my new
DFA 50 more every day. This mornings shot.

Attached Images

02-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
That is stunning....thanks for sharing

John