Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Super Takumar lens hood

What size lens hood is needed for the super Tak 55/1.8. The database says the filter size is 49mm. Would I need a screw on 49mm hood? Or are there hoods available that would be a twist and lock kind like the Pentax hoods? If so, what size? Would it also be a 49mm? I can't find this information anywhere else.

02-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any generic rubber hood for 50mm lenses will do: Genuine Asahi Pentax 49mm rubber retractable hood for 50mm 55mm Pentax / Takumar | eBay

You can also get the dedicated metal hood if you really want to look hard. All the hoods for this lens are screw-in (bayonet hoods didn't come about until the invention of plastic )

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got it. Thanks Adam!
02-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you have a scout around eBay, you'll find that original Pentax hoods can be had for a bit more money, although the older metal screw-on ones are usually more expensive than the later plastic clamp-on ones. The collapsible rubber hoods are fine (I have several) but, as Adam says, there are also some very good metal ones also available (I have several, also, that have taken the place of the rubber ones) that are very reasonably priced, and can be better at shading the front element, because you can get them in a variety of lengths and diameters, to suit your focal length and sensor.

02-26-2012, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

And if you want a bayonet one look at the Matin brand ones on ebay.
02-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Thats bayonet options looks great - the problem with original metal hoods is that you can not put the standard lens cap on with hood in place and unscrewing to put the cap on is a bit annoying.
02-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, those Matin ones look great! I think I'll have to grab a few!
02-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The Asahi one for this lens is quite shallow -19mm from edge of thread to edge of outer rim:

And here it is on an SV - styling is all of a piece:

Good luck with your search.