Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lens to use for astrophotography?

The first question I want to ask if people here use their DSLR for astrophotography? A friend asked me to take photos of Jupiter tonight as she said it would be clearly visible in the sky but I'm afraid I'm not getting good results with my lenses...The most powerful I have is the Tamron 70-300mm....

WHat lens would u people suggest that could allow me to get better results, if that's possible! Thanks in advance!

02-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax DA*(star) 300mm might be a stellar performer :-)

No joke, it is optically very good. Costs a lot though.

You might browse the moon thread to see what other use.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46612-shooting-moon.html

and this one.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/113178-astrophotography.html
02-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

300mm on a crop sensor should be okay, if its workable with a wide aperture. You will also need a tripod. There are many tutorials on this online, but basically you want to go somewhere away from the cities, use timer, focus to infinity, use fairly wide apertures and low iso, then adjust the exposure time accordingly. However, I have never tried taking pictures of a planet, I probably couldn't even find it
Good luck!
02-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neel1 Quote
The first question I want to ask if people here use their DSLR for astrophotography? A friend asked me to take photos of Jupiter tonight as she said it would be clearly visible in the sky but I'm afraid I'm not getting good results with my lenses...The most powerful I have is the Tamron 70-300mm....

WHat lens would u people suggest that could allow me to get better results, if that's possible! Thanks in advance!
I suggest that you visit this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/113178-astrophotography.html

Here there are lots of different pictures taken with different lenses and techniques.

As you will find, there is not "A" (single) lens to recommend for astrophotography. It all depends on what you want to capture. As far as Jupiter is concerned you will need much more than 1000mm FL to get any details at all. But there are many other targets suitable for lenses in the 70-300mm range........