Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

m42 Lens Adapter - Zykkor M42

Bought this lens adapter a few weeks back. Amazon.com: Zykkor M42 Screw Lens to Pentax K PK Mount Body Adapter: Camera & Photo

Seems to work without any issues. I mainly purchased the lens because it was cheap and I didn't want to make too big of an investment if I didn't like using the m42 lenses. Now that I've got a little bit of experience with the m42 line, I've decided I'm going to stick with the ones I already have. Not as hard as I thought it would have been (still need a lot more practice).

My question is, has anyone ever owned this lens adapter and the original Pentax adapter? I'm looking into buying the original Pentax adapter but want to make sure it would be worth the investment. The Zykkor is only 10 bucks, so if it's going to give me the same results, I would rather pick up another Zykkor to have as back up.

I don't think the Zykkor gives any infinity focus issues, but I don't really know because I don't do any landscape shooting. To be honest, I've never even tried to get infinity focus, so I don't know what settings I would have to use in order to achieve it.

If any wants any details on the adapter, let me know and I will share my experiences with the adapter.

02-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The pictured adapter does not allow infinity focus since it has a flange that provides a stand-off of a few millimeters from the camera body. This is basically a very short extension tube. At most taking apertures, the user will not notice the lack of sharpness at infinity, but at high magnification (pixel peeping) it will be obvious. To be balanced, it should be noted that objects at infinity are often not that sharp anyway due to haze and such.

Steve
02-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The pictured adapter does not allow infinity focus since it has a flange that provides a stand-off of a few millimeters from the camera body. This is basically a very short extension tube. At most taking apertures, the user will not notice the lack of sharpness at infinity, but at high magnification (pixel peeping) it will be obvious. To be balanced, it should be noted that objects at infinity are often not that sharp anyway due to haze and such.

Steve
Other than the lack of infinity focus, does it interfere with the image quality in any other way?
02-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Other than the lack of infinity focus, does it interfere with the image quality in any other way?
No. Since there are no optics or even electrical connection the only affect it can possibly have is on infinity focus because of the change in registration distance. If you are not worried about infinity then this will work just fine as long as the threads are machined well and there is no slop in the connection.

However, if you are looking to get another as a back-up may I suggest you get one that does do infinity focus? Then you are covered just in case. I see no point in having two adapters that do not work in all situations.

02-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use such wide-flange NIF (non-infinity-focus) M42-PK adapters for these situations:

* Mounting macro tubes or bellows
* Mounting lenses for portraits or other scenarios where infinity doesn't matter
* Mounting narrow-body lenses for closer work, with CIF -- the adapter covers the mount pins
* Mounting some old teles that normally focus past infinity anyway
* Mounting other teles where I *want* to shorten the range a bit

For that last: I often put a 200mm or 300mm M42 tele on a NIF adapter. Stopped-down, infinity remains in focus. I also use a NIF plus a thin M42 macro tube to shorten the range even more. My Chinon 300/5.6 on such a setup may have a working range of 2m-20m about 2 degrees wide. This forces me to concentrae on subjects within those constraints -- good visual-system exercise, eh?