Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 05:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Paul, You may want to check out the following thread Home near the end, Javier has just gotten the Sigma 100-300mm. It would appear to match the Pentax DA*300mm and works well with the 1.4xTC. I just sold my Bigma for an FA*300mm and with the Tamron 1.4 (420mm) and Pentax AF1.7TC (510mm) it works very well with great IQ and focus speed.

So forget what I said some time ago, I think the best combo would be either of these 2 lenses with the Tamron TC. The 100-300 sells for less than the Bigma (at new prices) and the 1.4 is about $130-150 used.
Thanks Peter, but I bit the bullet and paid out for the DA* 300 last week and it arrived on Thursday. I posted some initial shots on John's thread here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/25256-da-300-impressions-2.html

Still getting used to it. Certainly produces nice images on its own. I need to experiment more with the Kenko TCs I have. The 1.5x gives me SDM if a little slow in certain conditions. I bought the monopod as you suggested and am still getting used to the technique of using that; it's quite an art in its own right. I find the position you suggested for using it quite stable, more so than the karate stance one suggested in that link I posted. That sounded like it made sense but it is quite difficult to keep everything stable in practice.

Paul

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Althought this is true, it can be also misleading. The bigma extend when zoomed big time and the weight of the front element is high, making it more difficult to handheld. Due to the heaviness of the front elements the zoom tends to creep a lot when the lens is not horizontal, which makes the things less ergonomic even if you are using a tripod/monopod. Besides that, I found the lens fantastic.
Thanks Gruoso, I'm finding the DA 300 + TC heavy enough especially with a monopod as well. It does balance quite well on the monopod, but I've got a long way to go in developing technique.

Paul

Last edited by channeler; 04-27-2008 at 05:22 AM.
04-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Thanks for everyone's input on this. It is very helpful and has given me food for thought. Still a bit undecided between the two. I do seem to find myself shooting quite a bit in wooded areas where the constant f4 of the 100-300 may be a help. The images I've seen produced by the 100-300 seem to have a little more colour/contrast/punch to them than the Bigma, but once you add a TC perhaps the image quality between the two lenses is going to be comparable. Going to just have to take the plunge at some point. The other factor is availability. Sigma said stocks of Bigmas with Pentax mounts would be shipping into England just after Christmas but couldn't give a date for more 100-300s.

I already have a tripod but a monopod would probably be a good investment as people have said. Are there any monopods people would particularly recommend?

Paul
It seems to be easier to get "sturdy" monopods than tripods.

I have a dirt cheap Targus monopod from Radio Shack (aka Rat Shack) in the U.S. which is rock solid, compared with a tilt-only head from Bogen/Manfrotto, it's a great combination for the price ($15 for the monopod, ??? for the head but not too much, although more than the monopod was.)

Rat Shack's Targus tripods are not nearly as good as their monopods, although their "compact/travel" one for $15 is acceptable esp. given its diminutive size.
04-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
The one I have:
Bogen / Manfrotto | 685B NeoTec Monopod Deluxe | 685B | B&H

- can be raised and lowered with one hand via a handgrip lever
- has a rubber foot or spike (just watch you don't loose the rubber foot in the woods; B&H clips them onto the monopod bottom shaft in their showroom)
- handles loadw of weight and never slips
- can double as a walking stick (take off the rubber foot 1st)
This is the first time I hear a users experience of this monopod, thanks! You don't seem to live very north, but have you ever used that monopod below freezing point? I considered this one but was afraid that it would not hold in low temperatures?
04-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, the Giottos monopod I bought is stable; it is my technique that's at fault. It was their p-pod though which has three feet you can screw into the base to make it self-standing. I did find this a bit of a gimmick though as it tends to be a bit bouncy once loaded up. Don't know if the Manfrotto self-standing one is any more sturdy.

Paul

04-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
This is the first time I hear a users experience of this monopod, thanks! You don't seem to live very north, but have you ever used that monopod below freezing point? I considered this one but was afraid that it would not hold in low temperatures?
You are correct. I'm sorry, but I didn't use this much this past winter, other than for a bit over 1 hour during a light snow storm... while I was under cover of my deck. Was it below freezing I think so, but not by that much. It held quite well for that short period. As to be expected with the material used, it did get quite cold to the touch; good thing though with the foot stand and hand grip, you rarely have to touch the shaft other than when you carry it.
-steve