Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I bought a used ME and a new 28-80 for my wife to go on a bicycle tour of Europe for two months, back in 1991. The advantage was that the combination was compact and light without the limitations of a point and shoot. Her album of the trip shows that the lens is much like the new 18-55 DA - it's a great kit lens, a cut above. It is however, a kit lens, and will not hold up when compared to higher priced equipment, such as the FA 24-90.

As to the zoom control switch on the lens - mine is held on with packing tape.
If your 28-80 is a power zoom, can you confirm if K10D works with the power zoom feature in fast zooming without turning the zoom ring but rather a short turn on the power zoom ring. My K100D don't have the circuit to send power to the power zoom ring.

And I wonder on the qualities on other power zoom especially on the SMC FA 100-300 (not sure on exact model) that has power zoom on it. And I saw power zoom with SMC FA 28-105 f/4.0 too as mentioned in this thread.

[update] I reread the earlier responses from Lowell that the power zoom actually works on zooming in K10D with power but the other features such as image tracking, exposure while zooming and others are not available in K10D as in pz-1(p) bodies.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-14-2008 at 04:28 PM.
01-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I bought a used ME and a new 28-80 for my wife to go on a bicycle tour of Europe for two months, back in 1991. The advantage was that the combination was compact and light without the limitations of a point and shoot. Her album of the trip shows that the lens is much like the new 18-55 DA - it's a great kit lens, a cut above. It is however, a kit lens, and will not hold up when compared to higher priced equipment, such as the FA 24-90.

As to the zoom control switch on the lens - mine is held on with packing tape.
I am selling my copy of SMC FA 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 in marketplace along with a copy of pz-10 body

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographer-s-marketplace/18355-fs-budge...m-f-2-0-a.html

Does your copy of 28-80 look something like this silver lens in the picture next to my pz-10 for sale

Mine has a A setting in the priority. This lens is different than the power zoom that I have posted on this thread. Some people rate the similar lens in FA-J 28-80 poorly but I find the lens quite usable and quite alright for the price. Though I like the silver one for lighter weight., I seem to favor the power zoom as I prefer the color, contrast and sharpness that I get from the power zoom. But in terms of focal length, they are the same but the silver 28-80 will reach f/5.6 at 80mm making it less usable for lower light. I don't have comparison shots between the two but I would guess they are similar and when stopped down to f/5.6 and f/8.0, sharp and contrasty pictures can be obtained from these two lens.

SMC FA 28-80 f/3.5-4.7 power zoom

SMC FA 28-80 f/3.5-5.6

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-14-2008 at 04:31 PM.
01-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am selling my copy of SMC FA 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 in marketplace along with a copy of pz-10 body

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographer-s-marketplace/18355-fs-budge...m-f-2-0-a.html

Does your copy of 28-80 look something like this silver lens in the picture next to my pz-10 for sale

Mine has a A setting in the priority. This lens is different than the power zoom that I have posted on this thread. Some people rate the similar lens in FA-J 28-80 poorly but I find the lens quite usable and quite alright for the price. Though I like the silver one for lighter weight., I seem to favor the power zoom as I prefer the color, contrast and sharpness that I get from the power zoom. But in terms of focal length, they are the same but the silver 28-80 will reach f/5.6 at 80mm making it less usable for lower light. I don't have comparison shots between the two but I would guess they are similar and when stopped down to f/5.6 and f/8.0, sharp and contrasty pictures can be obtained from these two lens.

SMC FA 28-80 f/3.5-4.7 power zoom

SMC FA 28-80 f/3.5-5.6

Thanks,
Hin
power zoom lens is totally different cosmetically. It is black, with narrower focusing band, depth of field and focusing distance scale is behind a window, and there is a switch beside the focusing distance scale.

focal length is dispolayed immediately above the apature.
01-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by forestG Quote
i have one of the 28-80's i got with my Z1 and its got to be the worst lens ever, i have a fifty mil full of fungi thats sharper-
worth all of $10 but a body cap would be more useful at the same price
I really have to disagree with your description and opinion of this lens. It is true the FA 28-80 was a kit lens. Its build requires a bit more delicate handling on the end users part.

Then again "any" lens requires delicate handling. Sure the occasional "knock" happens, but a seasoned photographers "heart sinks" when that occurs.

Beside that point most of these lenses become damaged from inexperienced or new photographers. In example the user that walks around with the camera on a neck strap allowing the body and lens to sway freely with no regard of what the camera body or lens bumps (knocks) into.

In That respect the lens quickly becomes a piece of junk.

In the the same due respect of a "well" cared for 28-80 lens. It is very well capable of capturing very well respected images. As have been shown in this thread.

Best regards,

Wendy

Last edited by WendyB; 01-14-2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: grammer
01-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
I really have to disagree with your description and opinion of this lens. It is true the FA 28-80 was a kit lens. Its build requires a bit more delicate handling on the end users part.

Then again "any" lens requires delicate handling. Sure the occasional"knock" happens, but a seasoned photographers "heart sinks" when that occurs.

Beside that point most of these lenses become damaged from inexperienced or new photographers. In example the user that walks around with the camera on a neck strap allowing the body and lens to sway freely with no regard of what the camera body or lens bumps (knocks) into.

In That respect it the lens quickly becomes a piece of junk.

In the the same due respect of a "well" cared for 28-80 lens is very well capable of capturing very well respected images. As have been shown in this thread.

Best regards,

Wendy
I don't disagree, but the power zoom function switch in particular, on these lenses is very fragile.

Aside from that, I have no issue at all with the image quality, but I believe I and others agree, that the feel, especially of the perceived looseness of the front element and play in focusing makes you think cheap.

FEEL is not the same as IS, when it comes to cheap, and compared to some of the later Pentax and other (C & N included) kit lenses it is much better than average
01-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't disagree, but the power zoom function switch in particular, on these lenses is very fragile.

Aside from that, I have no issue at all with the image quality, but I believe I and others agree, that the feel, especially of the perceived looseness of the front element and play in focusing makes you think cheap.

FEEL is not the same as IS, when it comes to cheap, and compared to some of the later Pentax and other (C & N included) kit lenses it is much better than average
I absolutely do have to agree with you on those points. I concur
01-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Lowell is pretty right on the fragile power switch on the power zoom, I have two copies of the same lens and both have a missing side cover for the power zoom function with label like A-AS-P and I just taped it over with black tape and not worry about what they are, they don't work anyway on my K100D body.

My impressions with power zoom so far are as follows:
  • Love the color with shots produced by this lens with K100D in normal Jpeq
  • When stopped down to f/5.6 and f/8.0, pictures are sharp and rich in color and quite contrasty, some even look better than my beloved DA 18-55
  • AF is noisy but works reasonably well for me except slow in indoor, very similar to kit's lens
  • it is a bit bukly but the lens is well balanced on my K100D
  • thought all plastic and feel cheap, I find it something I can depend on and not worrying about it being banged up
  • Manual focus will be huge problems on this lens as both the focusing ring and zoom ring are not good in precision
  • love especially on the focal range 28-80 compared to kit's lens, very versatile and less lens change in daytime shooting for me
  • I find long end at 80mm not as sharp as in the wider end
  • when used on K10D with power on the power zoom, the power zoom aids in fast zooming as in Pentax pz-1(p) bodies
  • I think all extra functions as in image size tracking, zoom clipping and others are not supported in K10D but only the power zoom part is working. It would have been even more worthwhile had those functions are supported in K10D
01-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A blog post for the time that I spend with my family in an unplanned train ride to San Francisco with unplanned stay overnight. Pictures were taken in combination with Pentax FA 50 f/1.4, Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 Manual and the

Some pictures are shown in this posting thread. Unless noted, all are taken with the power zoom. The zoom lens probably cost about $30 but if you are patient and watch, you can find a Pentax old film body with pz-10 or pz-20 mounted with this lens that people try to get rid of for $10 to $20 bucks. It is well worth the money if all parts are functional and working properly. This lens can be an inexpensive charming lens like the kit's lens especially if you are looking for the focal range of 28-80 which I find extremely useful in daytime outing. Selected pictures taken with my K100D, all are hand-held pictures as I did not bring tripod for the unplanned visit in San Francisco:

#6 with FA 50 f/1.4

#7 with FA 50 f/1.4

#8 with FA 50 f/1.4

#9 with FA 50 f/1.4

#10 with Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 Manual

#11 with Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 Manual

#12 with Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 Manual

#13 with Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 Manual

#14 with Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 Manual

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-17-2008 at 07:09 PM.