Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
About the SMC FA 28-80 power zoom f/3.5-4.7

Anyone know anything about this lens. I have two copies of this lens when I purchased various Pentax P bodies with pz-1, pz-20 and pz-10. I sold one copy of the power zoom and I have one left. It looks like a default kit's lens for the Pentax P series of automatic film slr bodies. It has a power zoom that works quite charmingly without the need to turn the zoom ring. But the power zoom does not work on my K100D, it may work on K10D but I don't have a K10D to confirm.

If you have a copy, what is your impression in film bodies, and what are your impressions of the lens in your K10/K100D bodies, any difference that you notice. I have test pictures and I am sorting out the better ones to post.

SMC FA 28-80 f/3.5-4.7 power zoom

Last edited by hinman; 01-14-2008 at 04:31 PM.
01-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 28-105mm Power Zoom lens took this over the 28-80 when I got my PZ-1.

I have since aquired a 28-80 for $10 with a broken zoom mode switch. (i just filled in the holes with epoxy and use it as a normal zoom.

Optically both lenses are quite good but they feel cheap for some reason, and the front group does have some looseness to it. I think that is why it feels cheap.

I used the 28-105 quite a lot as my walk around lens with my PZ-1, and also with my *istD. It was used along with my Series 1 70-210 which was semi perminantly attached to my 1.7x AF TC.

I have since replaced the need for these lenses with a tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and my sigma 70-200 f2.8, but keep them around any ways.
01-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think the P bodies were the only ones w/ that power zoom feature

this is why we have "crippled" K mounts....we dont have the power zoom feature
01-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

crippled K moounts have nothing to do with the power zoom feature.

Crippled K mounts have everything to do with the apature setting coupling, which has been removed from the camera bodies, and from the latest versions of pentax lenses. These lenses are unofficially known as KAFJ mounts.

Power zoom mounts are KAF2,

full autofocus K mounts are KAF,

electronic/automatic apature are KA and

Origonal bayonette mounts are K.

There is also a now defunct KF mount for the origonal autofocus from around 1980

01-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, few test pictues

This is some snapshot that I use the power zoom over the New Year celebration with Pentax K100D in jpeg. I am not ready to part the lens.

The lens seem to work fine in f/8.0 in terms of sharpness. Perhaps f/5.6 is fine too. The lens is a bit on the bulky and heavy side but the balance is wonderful on pz-1 and K100D body. The power zoom does not work in k100D, someone in another forum mention that the K10D will work with the power zoom. The normal zoom ring works as usual but I find the power zoom a extra sweet feature in helping the focus lock not to change upon focus lock. I can do focus lock and zoom and the lock is less likely to change.

Thoughts & c&c welcome. I quite like the lens for its focal range and its reasonable auto focus. The loud AF complements the nice nosiy shutter on my K10D. They work like a charming pair though the cheap feel with plastic on the lens. As a pair, they look gorgeous together just as it goes as a kit's lens to the Pentax pz-1p champion. It definitely works better for me than the kit's lens. I won't part with the lens for the price of the kit's lens, what do you all think?

Warmest,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-14-2008 at 04:36 PM.
01-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
crippled K moounts have nothing to do with the power zoom feature.

Crippled K mounts have everything to do with the apature setting coupling, which has been removed from the camera bodies, and from the latest versions of pentax lenses. These lenses are unofficially known as KAFJ mounts.

Power zoom mounts are KAF2,

full autofocus K mounts are KAF,

electronic/automatic apature are KA and

Origonal bayonette mounts are K.

There is also a now defunct KF mount for the origonal autofocus from around 1980
I stand corrected
01-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
This is some snapshot that I use the power zoom over the New Year celebration. I am not ready to part the lens.
The power zoom does not work in k100D, someone in another forum mention that the K10D will work with the power zoom. The normal zoom ring works as usual but I find the power zoom a extra sweet feature in helping the focus lock not to change upon focus lock. I can do focus lock and zoom and the lock is less likely to change.
Hin

Power zoom, as far as the electrical zoom by turning the zoom ring in power zoom mode works, but the K10D does not support the functions that the PZ-1 did,

Although pentax had announced that the K10 would support power zoom lenses, they have responded back to me they will not implement the functions that the PZ-1 had,

In total, these were image size tracking, zoom clip, which returns the zoom at a preset focal length, zoom effect, which sooms the lens in or oout during the exposure

01-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Hin

Power zoom, as far as the electrical zoom by turning the zoom ring in power zoom mode works, but the K10D does not support the functions that the PZ-1 did,

Although pentax had announced that the K10 would support power zoom lenses, they have responded back to me they will not implement the functions that the PZ-1 had,

In total, these were image size tracking, zoom clip, which returns the zoom at a preset focal length, zoom effect, which sooms the lens in or oout during the exposure
The zooming feature while exposure would be a cool feature to have as I can imagine a tunnel vision on a view. Thanks for the input. I would try that feature on my pz-1. But the only problem that I have is that I have a broken switch cover that I have taped with black tape and it has marking for 'As' and something like 'P' and I have no idea if they are related to the zooming exposure. If anyone have a link to the user manual of power zoom, that would be great. I think the zooming feature would be great in dslr as many bad shots can be reviewed instantly for feedbacks and redo it on the spot. And that is not the luxury in a film slr.

Thanks,
Hin
01-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hin

follow this link.

Pentax Canada - Film Camera Support

in my PZ-1 manual it is on page 77
01-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
f/5.6 in a Bart train ride

f/5.6 in Bart train ride

It appears sharp to me. Is it sharp to you? Flickr page in

You can use 'all sizes' to view larger size for sharpness.

IMGP5979 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My bad in post processing that turn the color darker red; otherwise, quite good

f/4.6
riding a rough cable car with lots of wind in Fisherman Wharf, not as sharp and probably a bit overexposed, but I really like the emotion in the cable car driver, he is a very nice gentleman who let us hop on the car without the right change and a clumsy stroller for the boys

And I have another SMC-P FA 28-80 that does not have this zoom feature and it is silver in color with an A setting. It is different than the SMC FA-J without the 'A' setting. All are cheap zooms in 28-80 but I wonder if they differ in terms of quality. It is one thing I want to find out so that I can report back to the forum as viable cheap alternative to the kit's lens. So far, my initial impression on preference in using the power zoom, the SMC-P FA 28-80 and DA 18-55 yields to the power zoom for sharpness, color contrast and a better cheap but usable zoom range to use.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-14-2008 at 08:34 PM.
01-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i have one of the 28-80's i got with my Z1 and its got to be the worst lens ever, i have a fifty mil full of fungi thats sharper-
worth all of $10 but a body cap would be more useful at the same price
01-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Few more test shots

f/4.5, 80mm, iso 200, +1/3 Ev
added cold blue tone in Picasa along with Sepia for the loneliness on the street

f/4.5 at 80mm, iso 200, -7/10 Ev

f/3.5 at 28mm

f/8.0, 60mm, iso 200, +3/10 Ev

f/8.0, 58mm, iso 200, +3/10 Ev

All shots are taken on new year. My family visited San Francisco Fisherman Wharf area with a Bart (train) ride and we have two strollers and no car and I dropped in a hotel cold turkey asking for a room to stay overnight. And on the 3rd hotel we made the embarrassing question on New Year Eve, we got the last room and I hugged my worrisome wife for approval for a romantic evening in San Francisco with fireworks in few hours and the about shots from #1 to #13 are done with the SMC FA f/3.5-4.7 28-80 power zoom in the morning and afternoon. And I started the new year with a scene with a Corona Extra laying nicely on a balcony rail waiting for my other lens to attempt a shot or two

#14 shot with Vivitar 24mm f/2.8

#15 shot with Vivitar 24mm f/2.8
added warm color in Picasa

I don't have any resolution in the year except I am very worried about my buying habits with lens and bodies but I know it is going to be a year of celebration and joy and I just need to have more faith.

Hin
(P.S. I don't drink any alcohol but I love that Corona Extra bottle very much)

Last edited by hinman; 01-07-2008 at 12:33 PM.
01-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Panning shot & sea lion

One more panning shot with the SMC FA 28-80 power zoom f/3.5-4.7. I also have another silver color SMC FA 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 and I wonder how they differ. So far, I think the power zoom is better in picture quality, I will report back in comparing the two in more detail. Both can be had for under $50 dollars and I think they are good alternatives to the kit's lens especially on the good and very useful focal range for 28-80. The non power-zoom version is absolutely lightweight but I like the picture quality of the power zoom. Both zooms have the A setting and both will work great in both dSLR and film cameras

Panning the red bus in San Francisco business down town area with lots of stock trade related businesses

My little sea lion on Bart (train) riding to San Francisco on New Year Eve

Thanks,
Hin
01-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Anyone know anything about this lens. I have two copies of this lens when I purchased various Pentax P bodies with pz-1, pz-20 and pz-10. I sold one copy of the power zoom and I have one left. It looks like a default kit's lens for the Pentax P series of automatic film slr bodies. It has a power zoom that works quite charmingly without the need to turn the zoom ring. But the power zoom does not work on my K100D, it may work on K10D but I don't have a K10D to confirm.

If you have a copy, what is your impression in film bodies, and what are your impressions of the lens in your K10/K100D bodies, any difference that you notice. I have test pictures and I am sorting out the better ones to post.
I bought a used ME and a new 28-80 for my wife to go on a bicycle tour of Europe for two months, back in 1991. The advantage was that the combination was compact and light without the limitations of a point and shoot. Her album of the trip shows that the lens is much like the new 18-55 DA - it's a great kit lens, a cut above. It is however, a kit lens, and will not hold up when compared to higher priced equipment, such as the FA 24-90.

As to the zoom control switch on the lens - mine is held on with packing tape.
01-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote

As to the zoom control switch on the lens - mine is held on with packing tape.
on my copy it is completely lost, and I filled the space with epoxy.

On the 28-105, I fixed a broken collar for the switch in about 1999-2000 with super glue and it has stayed put ever since.