Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Loose Lens Hood on DA 14 f2.8

Any suggestions on how to solve a problem with my DA 14/2.8 would be very much appreciated...

The hood is kind of circulating around the end of the lens. The fault is not in the lens hood itself... the hood is fine. It's what I call the 'ring' on the lens that locks the hood onto the lens. Normally this 'ring' is like an integral fixed part of the lens, and you use it to attach the hood plus your filters.

Normally when you mount the hood, it stays firmly in the right position, relative to the format of the sensor, never casting a shadow onto the sensor. In my case this 'ring' is rotating, causing the hood to rotate too, although the hood is firmly attached to the 'ring'. The result is that the hood add strange shadows to my pictures - a bit like unwanted vignetting - unless I make sure the hood is rightly positioned and not at an angle.

I do hope this makes sense. Added some pictures - hope they do a better job of explaining...

/Ebbe

1. pic.: Lens hood in an angled position
2. pic.: Lens hood in normal position
3. pic.: The ring in normal position
4. pic.: The ring pulled backward

Attached Images

Last edited by Ebbe S; 02-28-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Explaining the pics
02-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The title should probably have been: Loose Rotating Lens Hood on DA 14.

Don't know how to edit the title...

/ Ebbe
02-28-2012, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is totally strange because that filter rim is held by 3 screws which hide underneath the tape-on-ring. It is very unlikely all 3 screws came loose but this is exactly what happened to yours. The fix is simple. Just remove the rubber focus ring and slide off that filter rim completely. Use a sharp cutter and carefully peel off the tape-on-ring. Reinstall the rim and threadlock the screws. Now, that tape-on-ring can be damaged easily, and if you do when peeling it off, you will have to obtain another one from Pentax.

Last edited by wlachan; 02-29-2012 at 12:40 AM.
02-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks wlachan.

Sounds like you got it... I did notice something like 3 small protrusions behind the tape-on-ring and was wondering whether I should have a look beneath it or not. I tried loosening it, but it was pretty unwilling to come loose and then again... I didn't know what I would find behind it...

I'll have a look at it tomorrow. Sounds like a pretty easy thing to do. The hardest thing might be to get a new tape-on-ring, but it shouldn't be impossible.

I went to a store today to get an offer on having it repaired... I would have to pay €125 just to have it looked at!!! If I accepted the offer, the 125 € would be considered a down payment. Thanked them nicely... no thanks...

So your advice is very much appreciated... thanks...

Last edited by Ebbe S; 02-28-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
02-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That ring isn't expensive and Pentax should have plenty in stock consider the way the lens is constructed. It's a 5 min job once you figure out. Good luck.
02-29-2012, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
DA 14/2.8 repaired... :)

Thanks to the advice from wlachan I have repaired the lens myself... Thanks Alan...

It was as he explained the 3 little screws that had gone loose. I just followed his instructions and it was an easy DIY-operation.

As the filter rim was loose I could pull it backwards and I managed to loosen the tape-on-ring without dismounting the filter rim. Added some thread-lock to the screws, screwed them back down, mounted the tape-on-ring again... and the filter rim is fixed... and my hood no longer rotates...

Added a pic. to show how the lens looks with the tape-on-ring peeled back and one of the three loose screws.

/ Ebbe

Attached Images

Last edited by Ebbe S; 02-29-2012 at 04:21 AM.
02-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the same lens, same body. This is a good tip!