Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that the DA35/2.4 is the only lens that fits all three requirements (AF, fast, cheap) and can be bought new. Second hand, you can look for an FA28/2.8; you might be able to find it in your price range. I would personally prefer it over the DA35/2.4 as it's a bit wider.

No idea about 3rd party.

You can find subjective reviews in the lens database
Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Lens Review Database

On a totally different note:
Why does your brother not use flash? There is only so much that can be done with a fast lens and no flash. If he does not have an external flash, that might be an idea for his next birthday / Christmas / whatever.

03-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
That's a shocking price difference, I wonder why that is, it's not manufactured in the USA it is an import and sells for $260.00. That must be very aggravating !
Unfortunately, this is far from uncommon - the "norm" is that photo equipment in Europe costs approx. the same in GBP as it does in USD in the US - that would put the lens at 260 ~ $410 ~ €310. Which means that for this particular lens the difference is even bigger than usual .. or I just did not find the best shop.

Anyway, this is the way world is, unfortunately for us Europeans - at least in some countries, we get better warranties - here in Norway, the guaranty is 5 years on everything by law! (but then, the prices are also typically higher than in the rest of Europe..)
03-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I think that the DA35/2.4 is the only lens that fits all three requirements (AF, fast, cheap) and can be bought new. Second hand, you can look for an FA28/2.8; you might be able to find it in your price range. I would personally prefer it over the DA35/2.4 as it's a bit wider.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did a quick search on the net and could not find a single FA 28/2.8 for sale - only loads of manual lenses on eBay.
It looks more and more like it is going to be the DA35/2.4..

QuoteQuote:
On a totally different note:
Why does your brother not use flash? There is only so much that can be done with a fast lens and no flash. If he does not have an external flash, that might be an idea for his next birthday / Christmas / whatever.
I guess he prefers the soft look of pictures without flash. That being said, he does not have an external flash, i.e. his experiences are only with the build-in one - I guess with an external flash, one could get significantly closer to the "look" he likes - any idea how close and what is the best approach (bounce off the ceiling?) .. I do not have much experience myself, having bought an external flash not so long ago..
03-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mkaut Quote
Thanks for the suggestions - I would guess that F4 would be too slow for the indoor use. I would draw the line at about F2.8.
And as far as I understand my brother, AF is a must.
It wasn't too slow for me on film with kids indoor mostly using 400iso film. K10D performance should still be OK at 400 I would think.
And we are talking a lens that performs very well from f4. But go ahead and buy a more expensive f2.8 lens that anyway will have to be stopped down for decent performance...

03-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sigma 18-50 is $200, has HSM and OS, and (for a brief while) is f/2.8 - it drops to f/4.5 at 50mm but that's not an 'indoorsy' focal length.