Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #1

B+W polarizer fake?

Hi

Ive bought a polarizer filter I want to check a few things with.

The ring feels like an old manual lens but its harder to turn.

The plastic box that comes with it feels cheap.

Is this normal? Ive never owned a CPL before.

03-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
The ring feels like an old manual lens but its harder to turn.

The plastic box that comes with it feels cheap.
Box might not be unusual for B+W, but the ring should turn easily (though not as smooth as a greased manual lens).

Questions:

- Where did you buy it? (Store, eBay, 2filter.com)
- What size is it? (49mm, 77mm, etc.)
- What price did you pay?

Basically, if you paid much less than what you see on average at Swedish or other European online retailers (or use 2filter.com for best US price examples), you might have bought a fake. B+W is the most popular brand to make fakes of because it tends to be the most expensive.

The final test is to take some photos with it. Even some fakes polarize light acceptably! You will see the effect most dramatically when photographing water or blue sky perpendicular to the angle of the sun. Also, the color of things shouldn't change too much...
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
It may just be a poor-quality CPL. You can check to see if it's a CPL (or a linear polarizer) with the mirror test: Hold it up to one eye (with the back facing you, as if you were the "camera") and look into a mirror - you should be able to see yourself through it. Flip it over (so the back is facing away from you) and check again - you should not be able to see through it. If this works as described, it's a circular polarizer.
03-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

B&W filter cases are cheap plastic. For the polarizer, I've also noticed that mine is a little slower to turn, kind of like the feel of a limited lens - smooth and steady, not loose feeling.

Which one did you get?

03-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many fake ones out there in ebay.
03-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for replies.

Ive got it in swedish ebay like ite.

the price is low because there isnt much activity in the filter category.

Mine is 52mm for the kit lenses. It feels hard to get the filter on the plastic thread. is it normal?

It is a cpl filter - test done.

It does flare when sun is in the picture.

Here is some pics if you can tell or compare with genuine ones:

ImageShack Album - 10 images
03-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Based on what your pictures show, it looks legit.

1) The case is the same as mine - cheap plastic.
2) the rotation is stiffer than you might expect - and I think you'll find that in spite of the resistance, it's a smooth rotation
3) the front of the filter doesn't have a retainig ring - it's a flange, based on the f-pro description I read (and the same as mine)

It doesn't look like it's coated - or it's single coated, hence the flare isn't out of place.

I obviously can't state definitively if it's real or not, but from what I saw in your photos, it appears to be a real b&w cpl.

03-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
Glad to hear that

What is the weight of yours?

If you look a the picture with the back of the case you can see that it is missing a colon ( after the english text. Suspicious?

On the front there are no dots as the rest of the package?
03-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't have an apples to apples comparison for you. I have the 49mm xs-pro MRC CPL, so it's going to be a feather-weight compared to yours.

Having said that, maybe this will help you out a bit:
https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=606&IID=3553

Also, in the FAQ, Question 26 has info on the thickness of the filters:
https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/faq/bw.htm#qu26
This measurement should exclude the exposed threaded portion, so you should be looking at a 7mm thick filter.

As for the missing semi-colon, I'll see if I still have my box to confirm. I doubt it, but I'll check and let you know later tonight.
03-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I took a look around and I must have thrown the box out.

All things considered though, I still think your filter is legit (my opinion, fwiw)

Cheers.
03-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
Thanks for replies.

Ive got it in swedish ebay like ite.

the price is low because there isnt much activity in the filter category.

Mine is 52mm for the kit lenses. It feels hard to get the filter on the plastic thread. is it normal?

It is a cpl filter - test done.

It does flare when sun is in the picture.

Here is some pics if you can tell or compare with genuine ones:

ImageShack Album - 10 images
Mine (Linear "TOP-POL") has a different font size than yours and the lettering is more of a gold colour. Not sure, looks a bit "off"?

Phil.
03-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Like for all conspiracy theories.... why do you believe that the filter is fake???
Box and packaging basically look like regular B+W. If you really want to find out and have reason to believe in a fake, B+W will assist you. What do you mean by stiff moevement? The filter does not fit the plastic thread of your lens - well, maybe the lens is off. How much did you pay for it? Did you ask the seller a question?
03-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #13

Original Poster
Because i bought it in a ebay like site and i expected that B+W which has the best filters out there to have better packaging and box thats why i was wondering. but it turns out it looks like this o maybe its genuine after all.

But have to get some confirmation on the missing colon. Thats my last puzzle piece.

I paid approx. 20 USD but as said the filter category isnt very popular.
03-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've got another polarizer coming in from b&h (same as my other filter, but 77mm this time). If you don't mind waiting a few days, I can photograph the box for you when it arrives. May not be exact, but should give you an idea (maybe?).
03-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #15

Original Poster
Sweet. Ill look forward to it.