Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this current copy of pentax is not the best one This lens must be sharp as the samsung one(which is the same only branded differently). About the coatings, in some lenses branded as samsung the coating is different color but not bad at all, It works like SMC( there was a moment when I was wondering about 16-45 Pentax/Samsung))

03-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Samsung just rebadged the FA35/2. Any difference is due to loose QC & sample variation. I am surprised people would think otherwise. I have come across 6-7 FA31 and some were really poor wide open. Does that mean there were more than one FA31 optical design? Oh boy.
03-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #18

Original Poster
Sample variation is a best reason to explain this review for me until now. I don't know and I can't say which one between FA and SA is better because I don't have either of them. I had FA once awhile ago but never took a serious look in to it's results. I hope that you guys might be able to try and share your pictures from both FA and SA at wide open here, especially, a shot of white things which we can see at the edges. Also, if possible to tell the details how to take photos , such as live view, manual focus, speed shutter, iso, tripod, lens conditions, etc., it would be the best.

However, I don't think they will be perfectly the same or "rebadged". IMO, if they are just the same that means Samsung is lying! because they've said they use Schneider-KREUZNACH optics. Therefore, again IMO, Samsung could use the same optical construction but different glasses, from Schneider maybe, and different coating?!?!?!?
03-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Samsung just licenced the name Schneider-KREUZNACH to be used on their products. There have been many once reputable brand names which have been diminished to nothing due to similar practice.

03-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Samsung just licenced the name Schneider-KREUZNACH to be used on their products. There have been many once reputable brand names which have been diminished to nothing due to similar practice.
Though Schneider is still very much in business and still has an excellent reputation in its core markets. The fact that they were willing to allow branding of their name onto Pentax product is a huge stamp of approval for the product. Sort of like Leica allowing the Leitz name on Panasonic product.

Steve
03-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The fact that they were willing to allow branding of their name onto Pentax product is a huge stamp of approval for the product.
I am afraid that's just wishful thinking, IMHO of course.
03-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to have to say so, but this thread is meaningless. Both lenses are built in the same production line in the same factory, just labelled differently. As several people pointed out, this is just sample variation. Schneider-KREUZNACH and Samsung had nothing to do with the production, they just sold their name and payed the bill, respectively.
03-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I am afraid that's just wishful thinking, IMHO of course.
Do a bit of research on Schneider. Their reputation in the optics world is in the same strata as Zeiss. They don't make consumer lenses, however.

That being said, I would be the last to suggest that the SK 18-55/3.5-5.6 is same quality as a Super-Angulon any more than I would suggest that the Nikkor 18-55/3.5-5.6 DX should be a measure of the Nikkor-SW large format series (sadly, no longer made). I would suggest, however, that both represent good performance and that both are worthy of the name at that price point (the SK somewhat more than the Nikkor).

Steve

03-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Sorry to have to say so, but this thread is meaningless. Both lenses are built in the same production line in the same factory, just labelled differently. As several people pointed out, this is just sample variation. Schneider-KREUZNACH and Samsung had nothing to do with the production, they just sold their name and payed the bill, respectively.
I agree. There is no difference between the Pentax and S-K labeled lenses. If the S-K version is available at a decent price, it should be considered to be a desirable lens for purchase...assuming, however that the lack of Pentax label is not an issue.

Steve

(...owns a Mazda B3000 truck...re-badged and re-styled Ford Ranger...nicer trim, more options, lower price...)
03-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do a bit of research on Schneider. Their reputation in the optics world is in the same strata as Zeiss. They don't make consumer lenses, however.
I know the reputation of Schneider, and I have their 4X MC loupe which is the best 4x loupe IMHO. However, the lenses being sold by Samsung are nothing more than licensed logo. This is not the first time some companies sold or licensed their reputable names for some fast cheap cash. And I would be a fool to believe those rebadged Samsung lenses had any actual connection with Schneider other than the printed name itself. The actual quality of those lenses aren't even the issue here. They might as well labeled them "Coca Cola" and wouldn't change the fact a bit.