Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
FA 43mm f1.9 Ltd - Focus ring "slipping" problem

Hi!

Anyone have ever experienced mechanical problem with the FA 43 focus?

Mine is sometime hunting for focus but when I switch to MF, I'm unable to focus at all, like if the ring is slipping. Hard to describe, but the feeling is not great.

The front element is also a little bit loose and moving... I never dropped the lens and always take great care of it. I'm wondering if it's a defect. The lens is 2 years old.

Any help will be appreciated, many thanks!

Picture for you:

HDR of Vinales valley, Cuba.

Last edited by Schuler; 03-02-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Adding picture
03-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd take that one in to Pentax for a once-over. My version is over 10 years old nothing like that has ever happened to me with this lens.
03-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, but I'm fearing the costs...

Thanks for your input.
03-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

you may have the 3 loose screws due to insufficient threadlock issue. your symptoms sound exactly like my FA77 moments before the entire front section fell off. there was a thread about this happening on the FA31 too...my search couldnt produce it however.
regardless, i would get it looked at asap. be careful.

ps - my lens was 6mos old when this happened.

03-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

look here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/150175-pentax-...t-working.html
03-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are 2 possible issues:

1) The inner 3 screws holding the focusing mechanism are loose (not the 3 on the outside). If that's the case, you can unscrew the front retaining ring with the proper tool bought from eBay (be careful not to scar the matt finish), then the filter rim can be removed and you will have full access to the inner 3 screws. DO NOT REMOVE THEM. Locate the screw marks inside and realign them then tighten the screws with low strength threadlock.

2) The front or rear lens group is loose. You can tell by rubbing the front & rear glasses and see if they move. If the front one is loose, it can be tightened by removing the front retaining ring. Be extra careful if using lens wrench because the lens can be scared easily. Personally I prefer rubber tool whenever possible.
03-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
Okay...
Many thanks for the link and the screw tips guys .

I will have a look soon and keep you informed of the results.

Best regards!
03-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
I checked and I can move the front end and the back of the lens is moving at the same time! The entire barrel is loose. I don't want to risk myself in dismantling this lens and messing the thing and I don't have the tool. I will send it to Pentax and hope they will do something great for me. I don't think this is normal for this kind of (pricey) lens...

Thanks