Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Look at the camera-facing side of the auto/man switch. Mine says 43541, which identifies it as v2, i.e. the later 4/4 design.
Yes, that is where the "parts number" is printed.

03-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Do non-Super non-S-M-C non-Auto Takumars have part numbers visible? I'm looking at the two presets that I have with me now, the Macro-Tak 50/4 (1x) and the Tele-Tak 200/5.6. Do K-series lenses like my K50/1.2 have part numbers? Maybe my delaminating eyeballs just missed seeing them?
03-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
A/M Switch & Aperture Ring

I agree with abacus07 - main point in the end has to be whether you like the lens or not.

Took some shots of it this a.m.:

ST1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Shooting had to be very rushed, but it can be made out that this is an S T, the A/M is unnumbered, and the seemingly ubiquitous knotted curls on the Aperture Ring are not present. So now I'm wondering just what it is. Thanks very much if you know or have leads.
03-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm suspecting this is version 1 then. I've read that they didn't print the model number on the A/M switch for the earlier models. Other clues are that the label reads A/M rather than auto/man and the fact that the serial number is below 1 million.

03-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Do non-Super non-S-M-C non-Auto Takumars have part numbers visible? I'm looking at the two presets that I have with me now, the Macro-Tak 50/4 (1x) and the Tele-Tak 200/5.6. Do K-series lenses like my K50/1.2 have part numbers? Maybe my delaminating eyeballs just missed seeing them?
From what I recall from my lenses this is something they used for a while on the Super Taks and SMC Taks, maybe Auto Taks. I don't recall seeing them on my oldest Takumars or on any K mount lens. BUt I should check when I get back home.
03-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An example of what I'm talking about above. The Super Takumar pointed directly at the sun with no flare (not expected tbh). I think some get to caught up on whether or not their lens is SMC, S-M-C or Super. All Takumars are good...

03-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try not having the sun directly in the frame, but just outside. You should find that there is pronounced haze and reduced contrast. I've found this effect easier to reproduce than those sharply defined reflection artifacts from direct sunlight.
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
All Takumars are good...
Except maybe the Fish-Eye-Takumar 18mm f/11 but I probably want one anyway.

03-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try not having the sun directly in the frame, but just outside. You should find that there is pronounced haze and reduced contrast. I've found this effect easier to reproduce than those sharply defined reflection artifacts from direct sunlight.
Of course. I actually took that pic to see how bad the lens would do pointed at the sun. After all it's not SMC...
03-08-2012, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

The idea with multicoating is to be able to reduce reflection in a similar way for all wavelengths. In an almost black-and-white image like that one, a single-coating (or if the later taks might have had 2-3 layers) does fairly well.

People talk mostly about the jump Pentax took when they introduced the SMC coating. But they contributed to the coating development way earlier. Before introducing the first Jupiter binoculars they worked with some Japanese University to develop a single coating that was more resistant than previous German/American coatings. That coating was also used on the earliest Takumars, and which I presume gradually improved for Auto Taks and Super Taks. It is way more resistant than other coatings from the same period, and this is the reason why Takumars have so few cleaning marks on the coating, why they still mostly have their coating intact.
03-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
The idea with multicoating is to be able to reduce reflection in a similar way for all wavelengths. In an almost black-and-white image like that one, a single-coating (or if the later taks might have had 2-3 layers) does fairly well.

People talk mostly about the jump Pentax took when they introduced the SMC coating. But they contributed to the coating development way earlier. Before introducing the first Jupiter binoculars they worked with some Japanese University to develop a single coating that was more resistant than previous German/American coatings. That coating was also used on the earliest Takumars, and which I presume gradually improved for Auto Taks and Super Taks. It is way more resistant than other coatings from the same period, and this is the reason why Takumars have so few cleaning marks on the coating, why they still mostly have their coating intact.
Yes. Coatings aside, I'd also say Pentax tended to do a better-than-average job with internal baflling.

John
03-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Why coatings are significant:

My LOTD (lens of the day) these last couple days has been an Exakta-mount Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 with 10 iris blades. Not a preset -- spin the aperture ring and there you are. This was my first extensive use of the Primagon in bright light. Lots of bright light here on the Arizona-Sonora border on windy cloudless days, let me tell you. The Primagon is quite sharp, and as long as I'm careful with incident light, it's nice and contrasty and saturated. But ANY incident light hitting the lens causes flare. Even with the big blazing sun at my back, anything in front of me that's reflective (including shiny trash cans and white signs and sand) causes flare.

Just before, my LOTD was the Enna Sandmar 35/4.5, a much smaller lens with a much bigger hood, and I didn't see such flare. My next LOTD (after I shoot with an Isco Westar 100/4.5 a bit) will be a Super-Takumar 35/3.5. I *know* it is nowhere near so susceptible to flare. The Enna is newer than the Meyer; the Takumar is newer than either; they're still all old lenses, but newer coatings make a BIG difference in their performance. I'll reserve the Primagon for cloudy, muted days from now on.
03-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm suspecting this is version 1 then. I've read that they didn't print the model number on the A/M switch for the earlier models. Other clues are that the label reads A/M rather than auto/man and the fact that the serial number is below 1 million.
I contacted CarbonR at [EN] Home - Takumar - The eyes of the Spotmatic and requested a look at the flickr pics of this lens. He replied:

With this serial number and A/M switch instead of Auto/Man, it surely is a Super Takumar lens (at least the body). To be sure about the lenses : with can count the light reflections that you have on them pointing a single light point (ex. : LED key holder, light bulb, sun...). A 4/4 lens will show 8 reflections (one for each air/glass or glass/air transition) while a 5/4* lens will show 9 reflections (idem plus one for glass/glass transition)

Doing as suggested, I counted up and then asked for clarification:

- 1 large round white at the front
- 1 large round blue at the back
(these move in in tandum when the light is moved around the circumference of the lens)
- 2 curved (contact lens like) 1 white, 1 blue
- 3 small round, 2 white, 1 blue
- 1 small blue, and very close just behind it:
- 1 very small, somewhat faint, grey
My question is are ALL these the reflections to be counted - I guess I'm a little uncertain about the two large ones in the front and back, and the sm. faint grey one - it takes a little lens moving to see at all.

He just now generously followed-up:

Hi,
I've just checked with a single led and the two optical formula : the "old" one has indeed 9 reflections, the ninth looks like being next to the end when looking from the front lens to the rear lens (normal, as the extra lens element is at the rear). You may have to move a bit the led to see all of them. Differences in colors are normal and can come from different coatings.
CarbonR

His findings are a match with mine - taking care to address detailed aspects of my inquiry. I want to thank him on this forum for that, and everyone here who has been taking an interest. The lens is almost certainly a Version 1, Ernostar 5/4 as described by D_of_S on the 3rd of this month.
Now if I could learn why this is the only ST 135 3.5 I can find an image of without "coarse knotted curls on the aperture ring" -- ST1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (it is very plain), this bit of ST lore will be filled out.