Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax FA135 or DFA 100 Macro

Hello,
I am looking for an optically superior lens to replace my DA50-200 for digital but also my film camera. Therefore i would prefer a prime lens with an aperture ring. I plan to use the lens for portraits or generally when i need a short telephoto. By searching through this forum, I narrowed my search down to DFA100 Macro (not WR!) and FA135. My reasons are:
1. both are relatively lightweight lenses, i prefer travelling light.
2. my most common focal length on the DA50-200 is around 90-135mm
3. I would like shallower depth of field than the DA50-200 offers and would therefore like a f2.8
4. Both have aperture rings, i prefer shooting manual or aperture priority on my film camera
5. Both are praised for their optical qualities.
6. Budget is 300.

First i settled for the FA135, but seeing that it is an old lens, it is quite rare and hard to get. Also I am scared it will get focusing problems (grinding sound) as I am experiencing with my F50.
The DFA100 seems like an alternative, since it is a newer model. However, I would never make use of the macro function, so Im not sure if its not a waste. Also I heard that the build quality is not great. Also, autofocus is not as fast as with the FA135, so that is also an disadvantage.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

03-03-2012, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You nailed it, your characteristic of the lenses is spot on. I have both lenses, the FA 135mm is indeed focusing fast, is solidly built and has shown itself to be reliable - I've never had a problem with it. The D FA 100mm non WR is my most used lens for macro where it produces stellar results. I don't like it as a walk around short tele lens - It tends to hunt a lot. The WR version is much better in this camp (but it has no aperture ring of course). The FA 100mm macro has a focus limiter and would probably hunt less than the D FA non WR. But it's also hard to find and a relatively big and heavy beast for the focal length.
03-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The D FA 100mm non WR is my most used lens for macro where it produces stellar results. I don't like it as a walk around short tele lens - It tends to hunt a lot. The WR version is much better in this camp (but it has no aperture ring of course).
Thank you for your helpful comment!
Why is the WR better, does it have a shorter focus throw? Doesn't the quickshift help in this regard, once you set it to infinity doesn't the lens focus quick?
03-03-2012, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #4

I have the FA and A 135 f2.8 plus the DFA 100 macro WR. Since I lean well towards the macro world, the A 135 has never been used and the FA only once for my grandsons T ball game. I would be more likely to use the FA 77 on the street as I like a more intimate perspective. Both 135's teeter on the sale block of my mind most times. I thought I would use it in conjunction with my Tamron 400mm f4 but that lens is so big, I can not carry any more stuff than it and the K-5. Not sure if any of this helps but good luck with the purchase. Dave

03-03-2012, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vsl3-e Quote
Why is the WR better, does it have a shorter focus throw? Doesn't the quickshift help in this regard, once you set it to infinity doesn't the lens focus quick?
non WR has aperture ring, which is good if you use it on film bodies, extension tubes or bellows (necessary even)
WR is weather resistant and have rounded aperture opening, which should give better bokeh
03-03-2012, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vsl3-e Quote
The quick shift does help a lot because the focus throw is long, nearly 270 degrees. I usually get close with the quick shift then let the AF take over, same thing I do with the DA 55-300 and really do this without thinking. It's very easy to get used to that. Prefocusing to infinity will only help on that end of the throw. The WR is a beautiful, solid lens, I've never seen a non WR, but the optics are supposed to be nearly the same. The differences are supposed to be plastic barrrel vs aluminum barrel (WR), quick shift, no aperture ring on WR, the non WR has a focus clamp, and of course the water resistance. I went with the WR because I wanted a WR lens to use with my K20D.
03-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
thank you all for your comments. Looks like ill search for the FA135 and get the macro only if its significantly cheaper. The WR version would be great but is beyond my budget.