Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful posts.

I m now saving to get 2 units k-01 so funds to get a new birding lens is limited. I hope to spend less than $500 if possible. It may not be a realistic figure here but my priority is to get the k-01 :-D. Once I have the k-01 I guess I can start saving up for a longer lens.

I m happy to shoot with tripod or monopod. I m not that good with handholding my tamron 70-200 as it is. My wife using the da55-300 also feel that handholding the da55-300 is not an easy task.

So I gather that many seem to favor a 300mm lens and this is a good feedback for me as my da55-300 iq is not that bad. I guess I really do need to find ways to get nearer to the birds. One post suggest a canoe.... Not a bad idea actually :-D

I also think that a teleconverter will work well with my tamron 70-200 but a check on eBay suggest that I need to spend more than 500$ for the Pentax 1.7AF....I STF and it appears the sigma 1.4 TC is also not compatible with my tamron so no go either. I also couldn't find the tamron 1.7PZAF anywhere. Bhp seems to not sell this.

So my current strategy for the tamron would be to search for a good deal on a manual 400mm lens on eBay (such as the tokina 400, tamron adaptall, etc) and buy the new Pentax TC when it is released next year to use with my tamron 70-200.

Last edited by raider; 03-05-2012 at 03:44 PM.
03-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
One post suggest a canoe
That depends. I live on an extensive wetland and the birds cope with trail bikes, walkers, some old airforce aircraft, dogs and cyclist. Canoes are rare on our wetland and all the birds take off and go to adjoining wetlands when a canoe approaches within 200 meters
03-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #33
Veteran Member

If budget is your main concern the Pentax M 400/5.6 is worth a look. I've been using it for the past 2 years or so with a K10 and more recently the K5. Click on the link below to view the samples I posted on the lens sample archive,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/157636-super-mu...400-5-6-a.html

You will also find detailed reviews in the lens review section of the forum. There are close focus issues and problems with PF and CA in high contrast situations. This is going to be the case with any lens without ED glass. The old M 400/5.6 takes a lot of time and effort but I'm fairly pleased with the results. If you don't have the patience for manual focus this is not the lens for you.

Tom G
03-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
If budget is your main concern the Pentax M 400/5.6 is worth a look.
Good recommendation, and the Pentax A 400/5.6 should also be on your list. Much shorter minimum focus distance, and they sometimes go surprisingly cheap on eBay.

03-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
So my bird shots suck because I flunked trig?
Nope, I'm just saying that if you get close enough you can do your birding with a wide angle, and the DOF will be better anyway

What I am saying is that the best bird lens is the one that's on your camera when the rare bird decides to come up and have a close look at you
while trying to figure out what their weird looking one eyed animal is that seems to be peering around out of one big glass eye.

You are suppose to take one last picture of its tonsils (and toss your camera aside for posterity) just before it swollows you and flies off.
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Nope, I'm just saying that if you get close enough you can do your birding with a wide angle, and the DOF will be better anyway

What I am saying is that the best bird lens is the one that's on your camera when the rare bird decides to come up and have a close look at you
while trying to figure out what their weird looking one eyed animal is that seems to be peering around out of one big glass eye.

You are suppose to take one last picture of its tonsils (and toss your camera aside for posterity) just before it swollows you and flies off.

(but your first sentence makes a lot of sense!)
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I also think that a teleconverter will work well with my tamron 70-200 but a check on eBay suggest that I need to spend more than 500$ for the Pentax 1.7AF....I STF and it appears the sigma 1.4 TC is also not compatible with my tamron so no go either. I also couldn't find the tamron 1.7PZAF anywhere. Bhp seems to not sell this.
The only available brand new 1.4X TC is Vivitar Series-1. It's an identical clone of the Tamron 1.4X Pz-AF with no power zoom (PZ) contacts implemented. The IQ quality is also almost indistinguishable. You may find it in B&H for below $100. I highly recommend this TC.

03-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #38
Pentaxian

(but your first sentence makes a lot of sense!)
I'm only half in jest here. WE are on the thresh hold of technology that will revolutionize bird photography, and this is remote control.

While Pentax missed it on the K-01 it is the low end model, and if they follow through with an upscale mirrorless they will surely include support
for a full remote control package.

If I can plant a mirrorless (or even a mirrored) camera on a tripod, and toss a towel over it to make it a little less conspicioius (at least to the
camera theives) and retreat a 100 yards and fully operate my camera (and tripod) from an APP on my iPad, or lap top computer including
watching the image on the screen, I don't need a bizillion MM telephoto.

The ideal lens would then be the "high magnification" zoom lens do out by Pentax later this year on their road map, with the hope
that it included a remote controllable 'power zoom' function. You could set it up fairly close to where you expected the birds to come,
retreat a good distance, monitor the area in wide angle mode, and pan/elevate/zoom as appropriate hopefully fairly quietly
probably with better success than trying to sneak up on one with 50 lbs of gear.

We can do this on Mars, why not here.? So far the folks running the Pan-Cam on the Mars rover haven't sneaked a photo of martians making out, but but maybe some day????

Once upon a time Pentax had a power zoom function on their cameras--- its where the 2 came from in the KAF2---but I don't know if its still
available since the 2 has been hijacked for the SDM function or not.
03-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
The only available brand new 1.4X TC is Vivitar Series-1. It's an identical clone of the Tamron 1.4X Pz-AF with no power zoom (PZ) contacts implemented. The IQ quality is also almost indistinguishable. You may find it in B&H for below $100. I highly recommend this TC.
Hi Greyser, any photos u can post? I am keen to see the IQ of this particular TC.
03-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WE are on the thresh hold of technology that will revolutionize bird photography,
No, YOU are--I'm 70 and don't use flash because it's too complicated. Your scenario is totally plausible though.
03-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I'm only half in jest here. WE are on the thresh hold of technology that will revolutionize bird photography, and this is remote control.
Probably true but it would take a lot of the fun out of things.

Tom G
03-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Hi Greyser, any photos u can post? I am keen to see the IQ of this particular TC.
Sure. I'm heading to work now. I'll do it today in the evening.

Last edited by Greyser; 03-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.
03-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #43
Pentaxian

No, YOU are--I'm 70 and don't use flash because it's too complicated. Your scenario is totally plausible though.
I would not presuppose that you are that much older than I..... both of us are war babies of the same war.
03-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can do all that with my Sony F717 from 2004. All I need is a long coax cable for video out, and a stereo audio cable for the wired remote. I can turn the camera on/off, zoom in/out (28-200 in 35mm equivalent), auto focus and take pictures remotely.
03-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #45
Veteran Member

You look younger Dave