Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
Tamron 17-50 F2.8

Looking to see if anyone has had a go at this lens.

I'm looking for a second fast lens, in Pentax mount. I have the 77ltd.

Reason for purchase is i am a member of our soon to be Community Radio Station here in my home town. I have shot all of our fund raising concerts and Guiness record attempts.

The first indoor show, in a small church, i shot with flash, the second, flash and some natural light with A50 1.7 and K10D. The shots with the 50 are all well composed and the colours of the lights are great, but i ignored the focus confirmation light and beep and went with what looked focused by my eye. All were oof and the back ground was fine. Lesson learnt, trust the beep. Third concert is in Feb.

I was thinking of going primes with a 35, 31, 43 or 50, but these are all but none existent in the area. All are special order. Even Sigma's 24,28 and 30 are SO.

My choices are now the Pentax 16-50, or this Tamron 17-50, which one store in Toronto area is now advertising, but does not say what the availability is. If i have to special order , maybe the 16-50 which is stocked is the way to go.

Any comments.

Dave

01-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
The Tamron 17-50 is a much desired lens, but so far Tamron themselves are not listing it as available for Pentax: TAMRON | SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (Model A16)
01-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
Aslo look for the Sigma EX 18-50mm Macro, not the non macro version so I've heard. Half the cost of the Pentax and reported to be sharp and has nice colour. Just as fast but not quite as wide.

Apparently the Tamron 17-50 and 70-200 f2.8's are coming to Pentax very soon but not yet.

SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro; Tamron USA, Inc.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 01-06-2008 at 08:25 AM.
01-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Member
Flaco's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Outside Chicago
Posts: 218
Hope the price on the pentax mount 70-200 is not outragous.

01-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
The Tamron 17-50 is a much desired lens, but so far Tamron themselves are not listing it as available for Pentax: TAMRON | SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (Model A16)
I checked on Friday, Camera Canada, Vistek and Henrys. No Tamron 17-50 listed in Pentax mount.

I checked again this morning, and Vistek now has it on there site, but zero info on it, photos etc.

This leads me to think its just around the corner. I have an email to Vistek about it.

I know there are Nikon and Canon shooters here aswell, and i though some of those may have been using one.

Appreciate the reply

Dave
01-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,438
Cameta Camera still shows the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 non-macro in stock for $269.99. It's a good lens.

Amazon.com: Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 EX DC Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
01-07-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
Original Poster
Now i see the 17-50 Tamron is off the Vistek site.
They jumped the gun a bit maybe.

????????

Dave
01-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
Well maybe a possible update. Have a look at this thread from today:
Pentax Forum: More Tamron lens news (a response from Tamron) - photo.net

I wrote to Tamron twice yesterday to enquire about the availability of the 17-50mm and 70-200mm f2.8 lenses in Pentax mount. I wrote once to the person on their press release, and once through their form on their website. Impressively, there were two responses sitting in my inbox this morning.

First, my response from the Tamron PR rep:

"The 70-200 will be made for the Pentax mount, but as for the 17-50 I have not heard anything about them making it for the Pentax."

But here's what customer service (via the website) has to say about whether Tamron will release a 17-50mm f2.8 in the Pentax mount (I forgot to ask about the 70-200mm):

"I would assume it will be this year but they have not given us a date as of yet. Japan only stated to us that they were confident that the lens would be available in that mount soon."

So, there you have it. Ask and you shall receive! If nothing else I'm pretty impressed with Tamron's customer service. Hopefully they have it correct and there will be a release of the 17-50mm this year. If I could find an email address for their Japanese branch I might get a more definitive reply on that.
Ashley B, Jan 07, 2008; 05:22 p.m.


01-08-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Well maybe a possible update. Have a look at this thread from today:
Pentax Forum: More Tamron lens news (a response from Tamron) - photo.net

I wrote to Tamron twice yesterday to enquire about the availability of the 17-50mm and 70-200mm f2.8 lenses in Pentax mount. I wrote once to the person on their press release, and once through their form on their website. Impressively, there were two responses sitting in my inbox this morning.

First, my response from the Tamron PR rep:

"The 70-200 will be made for the Pentax mount, but as for the 17-50 I have not heard anything about them making it for the Pentax."

But here's what customer service (via the website) has to say about whether Tamron will release a 17-50mm f2.8 in the Pentax mount (I forgot to ask about the 70-200mm):

"I would assume it will be this year but they have not given us a date as of yet. Japan only stated to us that they were confident that the lens would be available in that mount soon."

So, there you have it. Ask and you shall receive! If nothing else I'm pretty impressed with Tamron's customer service. Hopefully they have it correct and there will be a release of the 17-50mm this year. If I could find an email address for their Japanese branch I might get a more definitive reply on that.
Ashley B, Jan 07, 2008; 05:22 p.m.
can not find 35, 31, 43 or 50?
Do you search on Ebay or Amazon?
43 and 50 are easy to buy
01-08-2008, 03:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
ForrestGao,
I haven't got a clue why you quoted my comment and asked about totally different lenses. All the ones you mention are fairly easy to find. But we're discussing the Tamron 17-50 f2.8????
01-08-2008, 06:03 AM   #11
Not Registered
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
So, there you have it. Ask and you shall receive! If nothing else I'm pretty impressed with Tamron's customer service. Hopefully they have it correct and there will be a release of the 17-50mm this year. If I could find an email address for their Japanese branch I might get a more definitive reply on that.
Ashley B, Jan 07, 2008; 05:22 p.m.[/I]
I had the same answer for the 17-50 4-5 months ago, I hope that one day it comes true
01-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Outside of Philly
Posts: 1,564
I have no idea what Forrest is trying to say either.....And I'm halfway through my morning coffee, so I'm definitely awake

Back on topic....
definitely looking forward to the 70-200mm, if it's anything like my 28-75mm, I will be a very happy camper...
01-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
I have no idea what Forrest is trying to say either.....And I'm halfway through my morning coffee, so I'm definitely awake

Back on topic....
definitely looking forward to the 70-200mm, if it's anything like my 28-75mm, I will be a very happy camper...
Its part of a quote from my posting.

Not up here in the Great White North. All of those lenses you quoted me on are Special order only at the larger stores like Henrys, Camera Canada etc. The local smaller stores don't even list 1/2 of those i listed.

I am not keen on ordering a lens, that i have not tried first, and not able to return or cancel. I did with the 77 ltd only because i had used several friends lenses and was happy with both. They can take many months to get, and i was hoping for something by Feb 23.

As far as Eek bay, i'll go that route for last resort. Most items i have wanted to bid on from US sellers won't ship to Canada, so thats a last resort.

They may be available in the USA, i have not really looked. Most times duty and shipping off set any savings.

Nice though to hear the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 Macro one is a good lens. I will double check, but if i remember right, it was special order on Henrys but i'm not sure if the others had it or not.

I'll look.

Thanks for all the info on the tamron emails any way gents. I am just going to assume it will be a special order lens, for us up here anyway.

Dave

Dave
01-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
Original Poster
Just received an email from Vistek in Toronto re my quiry about the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in Pentax mount. Remember it was on the site Sat but not Sunday.

They are telling me it IS available, but special order only. Two to three week delivery.

Humm.

To late anyway, i ordered a Tamron 28-75 f2.8

Dave
01-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Just received an email from Vistek in Toronto re my quiry about the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in Pentax mount. Remember it was on the site Sat but not Sunday.

They are telling me it IS available, but special order only. Two to three week delivery.

Humm.

To late anyway, i ordered a Tamron 28-75 f2.8

Dave
Hum, I think they've made a mistake.
TAMRON | Di-II Lenses (Exclusively for digital)

- Bert
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
flash, k-mount, lens, light, pentax, pentax lens, shot, slr lens, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamron 17-50mm, Tamron 28-75mm, Sigma 17-70mm, which lens for my trip to Greece? macky112 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 11-20-2011 03:08 PM
For Sale - Sold: K10D, Tamron 28-75 F2.8, Tamron 75-300 F4-5.6, Super-Tak 50/1.4, AF-360 Flash maconmatt Sold Items 5 10-25-2010 06:18 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-60mm F2.8 (K mount) and Tamron Adaptall 24mm F2.5 with Tamron P/K ada pxpaulx Sold Items 4 08-27-2010 08:47 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K100d + 18-55mm + Tamron 70-300mm; Tamron 90mm Macro jake123 Sold Items 4 11-09-2009 12:51 PM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5, Tamron SP 28-135mm f/4.0-4.5 28A, Tamron pk/a adapta hinman Sold Items 14 05-08-2009 05:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top