Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LBA - cheap Vivitar

Hi guys,
I was walking around London looking for some used Pentax glass. I saw some smc m 50 f1.4 and so on, but they were bit more then I could and wanted to spend. At the end I ran into shop where guy threw at me Vivitar 28-70 f3.5-4.5 for PK-A/R MF. I don't think it's any excellent lens, but guy was selling it for 20GBP new, in box, with original caps manual and everything. I'm sure I could sell it for more...
anyway, how good or bad in terms of IQ is this lens?!?
Anybody knows?

01-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi guys,
I was walking around London looking for some used Pentax glass. I saw some smc m 50 f1.4 and so on, but they were bit more then I could and wanted to spend. At the end I ran into shop where guy threw at me Vivitar 28-70 f3.5-4.5 for PK-A/R MF. I don't think it's any excellent lens, but guy was selling it for 20GBP new, in box, with original caps manual and everything. I'm sure I could sell it for more...
Anybody knows?
I don't have this lens but there have been reported issues with the PK-A/R mount lenses getting stuck on pentax DSLR bodies. ALso there may be slight modification needed on the shield around the apature activating lever, as many vivitar and other third party PK or PK A/R mount lenses have a shield that is oversized and interferes with the DSLR body. The modification is simple and well documented in the lens forum

The attached thread is only the latest one I have seen

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/17587-help-tok...-ka-mount.html
01-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just checked, there isn't any shield, just the lever, and what do you mean by getting stuck?!? It may happen I won't be able to take it off???
01-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

Go look at Pentax Lens/Camera Compatibility - Mark Roberts Photography and scroll down to "Incompatibility Warnings"

01-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As it says on page from prcyon's link:
Lenses designated "PK-A/R" are Pentax and Ricoh compatible, and should be safe.
this Vivitar is one of them. I tried it on K100D Super in shop, and I had it on my K100D at home, and it came off OK. I mean, if it was to happen it would have first time I put lens on body, right?!?
Has anybody had experience with this lens? How about it's IQ?
01-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check for a small pin on the lens. If it is there, remove it and the lens should mount fine. It will be something that none of your other lenses have.
01-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi guys,
Anybody knows?
i got basically the same lens but it's the non-S1 28-85/2.8-3.8 and it took great images until i knocked it over and chipped the front lens. someone is sending me a repacement as soon as he finds it. he moved, need i say more.. the 28-90 is suppose to be better.
i'd suggest a hood for it as the glass is almost flush with the outside.. cut down flare. the 28-105 is also a dandy. here's one with it.