Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
WR lenses and chlorine

Hi, I have a quick question...

Does anyone know how well the WR lenses (more specifically the special coatings) handle chlorine (at the pool)?

Thanks!

03-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First do beware that WR does not mean water resistant. WR means solely weather resistant.

A WR body+lens is not designed to be placed 'in purpose' in a pool.

Back to your query, this leaves the possibiity that you may shoot in a pool building with chlorine 'fumes'... While I have no direct experiene with chlorine, I shoot often on beaches with salt splahes and sand particles. So far I had no problem nor issue... but I take care of my gear. TLC. (Tender, Love and Care.)

This means that I always wipe regularly my gears, and I rinse them with freshwater after each day trip. I would do the same if I shoot near a pool.

Hope that the comment may help.

Last edited by hcc; 03-07-2012 at 02:45 PM.
03-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Chlorine exposure can mean vapors but more likely means pool water that is chlorine treated. I've been looking for information on that as well and all I can find is generic information on AR coatings, like this one:

"Never clean your AR coated lenses with ammonia or products containing ammonia or chlorine."
03-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If there is enough chlorine in the environment to harm your glass, you are already dead.

03-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for your replies!

To clarify, I am not thinking about chlorine fumes so much as pool water splashing the glass...
03-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Thanks for your replies!

To clarify, I am not thinking about chlorine fumes so much as pool water splashing the glass...
Just wipe it and afterwards just rinse it, i never had a problem so far.
And if you're really that troubled by it you can buy an protective filter but i atleast never used one.
03-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If there is enough chlorine in the environment to harm your glass, you are already dead.
Glib answer but untrue. Coatings can be sensitive to specific chemicals and chlorine appears to be one of the ones that is used in the manufacturing process for many AR coatings.
03-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glib answer but untrue. Coatings can be sensitive to specific chemicals and chlorine appears to be one of the ones that is used in the manufacturing process for many AR coatings.
And if the amount of chlorine is high enough to damage lens coatings, it is not an environment that a person wants to be in. The % of chlorine in swimming pool water is not high enough to do any harm to lens coatings (I and some friends shoot water polo tournaments, our lenses often get splashed).
No citations, so I'm dismissing your post as hysteria anyway, but lets use acetic acid as a metaphor. In low concentrations, you put it on French Fries, in high concentrations, you die because it burns your lungs.